GPS - Arduino

Can someone please direct me where to seek information / help referencing GPS coding and the Arduino board on this site?

Thank you, AW.

Google is surprisingly knowledgeable. Try gps site:arduino.cc

...R

Thanks ....R Wearing out my mouse on that search.... My issue is I get gps data on my Com3 port that I can see when I hold down on the reset button on the Arduino board. However, when I let my code run freely I see nothing. My code is standard code from TinyGPS.

AW

awinters: My issue is I get gps data on my Com3 port that I can see when I hold down on the reset button on the Arduino board. However, when I let my code run freely I see nothing.

That sounds like you have the GPS module wired to pins 0 and 1 on the Arduino board in a RX-RX, TX-TX configuration. That works if you want to use the Arduino board simply as a dumb USB to TTL serial adapter, but it will not work if you actually want the Arduino board and the GPS module to communicate.

For that usage you need to make the connections RX-TX, TX-RX. The reason for this is that RX stands for receive and TX stands for transmit.

The other thing you need to be aware of is that pins 0 and 1 on your Arduino board are also used for uploading and serial communication with the computer (e.g. Serial Monitor). Having the GPS board connected to those pins may cause you to no longer be able to upload to the Arduino board. Trying to communicate with Serial Monitor, while also using Serial to communicate with the GPS can cause problems. If you have an Arduino board with multiple serial ports (e.g. Mega), you should connect the GPS module to a different serial port. If your Arduino board only has the one serial port (e.g. Uno, Nano) then you might want to use the SoftwareSerial library to create another serial port on other pins: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/SoftwareSerial and connect the GPS module to the software serial port.

Well, some real stuff to think about. You are right, I'm using 0 and 1 on the Arduino. I'll look at this more.

Thank you for the direction ! AW

I've got to tell you, you have helped me more then you could know...am able to read, parse, and display the gps. Thank you so much for your direction.

I'm glad to hear it's working now. Enjoy! Per