GPS Follow me module... Is it possible

I've got a hexicopter that I am beginning to shoot video with. I'd like to build a small module that I could attach to a RC plane to have my hexicopter follow.

The system would most likely be comprised of two components:

• A transmitter module to attach to whatever moving object I'd like to film consisting of the following:

• GPS Module

• Arduino Fio

• Xbee to send the info to the receiver

• A receiver of some sort to send the GPS information to my laptop (via usb????)

On my laptop I use a program called mission planner that has a "follow me" mode. This mode uses the onboard GPS (on a tablet or phone) or incoming GPS data to tell the drone (Via wireless telemetry link) where to go to follow the location of mission planner.

I think that I've got a basic understanding about how to transmit the GPS info from one xBee to another. Does this seem feasible? If so where could I find information of how to format and parse the location data to something that Mission Planner could use?

Thanks,

Loren

hi, now iam doing the same but using an accelerometer and gyro too. iam changing the motherboard of Ardrone by an arduino, and with the RSSI i hope to make a "follow me drone"

crixex: hi, now iam doing the same but using an accelerometer and gyro too. iam changing the motherboard of Ardrone by an arduino, and with the RSSI i hope to make a "follow me drone"

And your question is?

Looks like 1 April 2014 was not the best day to ask a question :)

@crixex, are you using GPS ?

I can't imagine there is any difficulty having one Arduino send its position data to another Arduino. Figuring out what to do with the data might be a little trickier.

...R