GPS Guided Controlled RC Car?

I want to build an arduino controlled RC car. The goal is create a obstacle avoiding car that uses GPS waypoints to guide itself.

I need to know:

• The best RC car to use as the platform
  • The best Arduino to use
  • And a list of other parts I will need

This is my first project on arduino. I know a lot about programming but this is my first time working with hardware

Get an Arduino UNO and start by blinking an LED. This will get you familiar with the IDE and the code. The car is your choice. But a Google search for a vehicle or even a rover that is Arduino compatible will get you started. Then start controlling motors. One step at a time will go a long way. Don't just think you will buy all the parts and put it together and it will work. It won't. But a Google search will also teach you alot.

joy4856:
I want to build an arduino controlled RC car. The goal is create a obstacle avoiding car that uses GPS waypoints to guide itself.

Is this for a personal project, or is it for a competition? The answer may affect the choices for the hardware.

joy4856:
I need to know:

• The best RC car to use as the platform
  • The best Arduino to use
  • And a list of other parts I will need

For an RC car, you would be best to use a hobby grade vehicle (especially if this is for a competition) - because most of these use standard RC parts - like a servo to steer with, and an ESC (electronic speed controller) to control the drive motor(s). You will find, though, that such vehicles are anything but inexpensive.

For the Arduino, you’ll probably want a Mega 2560 - perhaps with an SRAM expansion. But I would start with getting familiar with an Uno, first. Don’t jump in the deep end; follow @codlink’s advice.

For other parts? Well - you’re going to need some way to detect obstacles - so maybe one or more ultrasonic sensors, perhaps servos to scan one or more of them as needed. Or maybe a low-cost LIDAR system. Or maybe some Sharp IR sensors. Or a camera (at which point you are out of Arduino territory). Or all of the above.

You’ll also need a GPS module/board of some type. You might also want some kind of IMU (inertial measurement unit) module/board too (which can be used for dead-reckoning navigation if you lose GPS signal).

These are just a few of the items you’ll want or need.

joy4856:
This is my first project on arduino. I know a lot about programming but this is my first time working with hardware

This is not a small project - again, follow @codlink’s advice, and learn the basics on an Uno, then start planning your project. Take it in small stages (make a plan of those stages at first, too). Learn how to control a servo. Learn how to read an ultrasonic sensor. Learn how to combine both to scan an area with the sensor. Learn how to read a GPS module and use the data. Learn how to control an ESC.

For software - look into SLAM (simultaneous localization and mapping) - which you may need. You’re going to have a lot to do on the software side (more than you think) - so play around with and research that part, too. There are plenty of people out there who have done similar things to what you are doing; look up their projects, and try to learn from them. Let their mistakes be your learning opportunities.

joy4856:

Over what scale?

Gps is not that accurate over small distance.

Could avoid a mountain perhaps but not a bus.

Vehicle , get some advice from the modelling community.

Its common to have a model a foot long or so that can cost 500 upwards.

Get the vehicle suitable for the terrrain you are working on.

I would recommend going for the Mega. You can flash the LED and so on, just like the UNO. But for what you're doing, you'll end up wanting to upgrade anyway. It's not that expensive.