GPS is to slow.. RF triangulation???

hi guys/girls. this is a topic that I'm doing for a friend. he has a race car (dirt track) and instead of using a wheel speed sensor (its a circle track and front right spindle is most likely to break also front right is most accurate for true wheel speed in this application)
he wants to use GPS but its too slow for the application and cant keep up with the acceleration rates of a race car.

how fast/accurate/plausible is RF triangulation to find speed and acceleration?

any other suggestions to find vehicle speed would be appreciated, keep in mind that it is a dirt track and any thing that reads the ground movement could get covered in mud/dirt and fail.

Next to impossible.

Fit an accelerometer in the car. It won't be very accurate.

Allan

Thank you. I figured it would be pretty difficult I was just making sure. I don't know enough about Rf to even have a clue on setting up something like that.

Get a 100Hz GPS. 100 updates per second.

Even 10Hz might be good enough.

GPS is RF triangulation... a faster GPS would make sense indeed unless you want to put your own beacons around the track, which by the way is something I remember being discussed here about half a year ago.

An accelerometer would pick up every bump in the road as well (and it being a dirt track that road is made out of bumps), making it very very hard to distill the forward acceleration out of that.

Good advice. Are they available for half second updates?
He was thinking about putting a transceiver in the car, the trailer, and one in the parking lot or stands

Are they available for half second updates?

No problem. 5 or 10 updates per second are available on most GPS modules. I recommend the ublox 6,7 or 8 modules. 8 is the better one, at a little more.

I do not recommend the Venus brand. MTK/Global Top is ok, but the cheapest GPS modules (nonames) can have other issues.

-dev:
No problem. 5 or 10 updates per second are available on most GPS modules. I recommend the ublox 6,7 or 8 modules. 8 is the better one, at a little more.

I do not recommend the Venus brand. MTK/Global Top is ok, but the cheapest GPS modules (nonames) can have other issues.

can you post a link to the product so that I can look at the product you suggested, a lot of different things came up on amazon.com when I checked

Just search for ublox NEO-6M or NEO-7M or NEO-M8. Ebay items have always worked for me, just avoid the super-cheap sellers. They're the ones that might be counterfeit or might not perform to the specs.

Amazon is probably similar... avoid the super-cheap "marketplace" sellers.

I've heard one bad report about banggood shipping a different brand from what was ordered.

Adafruit modules are popular, too. They use the MTK chipset, but their Arduino library is the worst. I've compared their library (and others) with my library, NeoGPS (see docs). NeoGPS is smaller, faster, more reliable & accurate, etc. It's available from the Arduino IDE Library Manager, under the menu Sketch -> Include Library -> Manage Libraries.