GPS module and GSM module on Mega -- GSM3Softserial and softwareserial

Hi guys,

I want to use the GSM shield on the MEGA which uses pin 10 and pin3 (&pin7). But i also would like to use this GPS module( GPS shield - Elecrow), documentation of the GPS module shows that i have to use software serial and I have to use pin D0-7.

I can’t use this solution Learning Purposeful Science: Arduino GSM Shield tips & tricks were you can “disable” GSM3softserial for pins 8-13 becaus:

1. the GSM shield uses pin 10
  2. the documentations of the GPS shield (GPS shield - Elecrow) only mentions only pin D0-7.

Are they any solutions?

both shields use a serial port. So don't "sandwich shields up" on top of your MEGA, connect the Tx/Rx pins to Hardware Serial ports of your mega and drive the communication correctly. (might means you need to rewrite some of those libraries which are designed for software serial)

This is the example code;

//at 9600 bps 8-N-1
//Computer is connected to Arduino/Crowduino
//SoftSerial Shield is connected to the Software UART:D2&D3 

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

SoftwareSerial SoftSerial(6, 7);
unsigned char buffer[256]; // buffer array for data recieve over serial port
int count=0;     // counter for buffer array 
void setup()
{
  SoftSerial.begin(9600);               // the SoftSerial baud rate   
  Serial.begin(9600);             // the Serial port of Arduino baud rate.

}

void loop()
{
  if (SoftSerial.available())              // if date is comming from softwareserial port ==> data is comming from SoftSerial shield
  {
    while(SoftSerial.available())          // reading data into char array 
    {
      buffer[count++]=SoftSerial.read();     // writing data into array
      if(count == 256)break;
  }
    Serial.write(buffer,count);            // if no data transmission ends, write buffer to hardware serial port
    clearBufferArray();              // call clearBufferArray function to clear the storaged data from the array
    count = 0;                       // set counter of while loop to zero

}
  if (Serial.available())            // if data is available on hardwareserial port ==> data is comming from PC or notebook
    SoftSerial.write(Serial.read());       // write it to the SoftSerial shield
}
void clearBufferArray()              // function to clear buffer array
{
  for (int i=0; i<count;i++)
    { buffer[i]=NULL;}                  // clear all index of array with command NULL
}

Would it be possible to just use the TX2 PIN 16 and RX2 PIN17 and use command like;
void serialEvent2(){
}
instead of using the softwareserial lib to make use of D0-D7