GPS module power management

itmoto:
I am measuring 1mA in standby mode. Do you think the regulator is using the 800uA?

No idea.

What was the actual current of the GPS itself ?

The GPS was itself drawing 22-26mA in normal mode then dropped down to 1.1mA in standby mode.

So why were you asking if the 'the regulator' was using 800uA ?

Because it says in the datasheet:

"User can issue software command to make GPS module go into standby mode that consumes less than 200uA current"

which is less than my measured 1.1mA.

The 800uA was the difference between and whether my module has an onboard regulator (sorry I should have been clearer)
I posted an image of the module on one of my other posts. (18th Nov 2017)

From your previous post on 2nd sept 2017 you wrote:

"This is the measured power consumption in inactive mode;

Ubloc Neo 6M - 75uA
Ublox Max 8Q - 35uA

These are the bare GPS, no extra stuff connected."

Were you using a module similar to mine (pictured in one of my other post) or were you using the bare Ublox chip to record the lower power consumption.
(I know my module doesn't have the same chip)

itmoto:
The 800uA was the difference between and whether my module has an onboard regulator (sorry I should have been clearer)
I

Yes you should.

So your not measuring the current consumption of the GPS itself at all, but the current consumption of the GPS and some other associated components.

Until you do measure the current consumption of the GPS itself, you wont know if your commands are working properly or not.

Could you please clarify what you mean by "some other associated components"

The way I am measuring it is putting one side of the voltmeter on the ground of the GPS module and the other side of the volt meter to the ground of my power supply.

Here is an image of connections (plus how i am checking GPS consumption). Planning on removing the DC-DC buck converters and connecting everything to a LiPo battery.

You said;

"I posted an image of the module on one of my other posts. (18th Nov 2017)"

Which was not an image of a Ublox GPS.

What you have now just posted, is an image of a different GPS, which is identified as a Ublox (Neo6M) althought the code you are using is for a Mediatek.

I give up.

The gps in the image (circuit diagram) is exactly the same as my gps the image in the circuit diagram is antenna facing up.

I will edit the image to replace "Neo6m" to "Unknown" when back at the computer or put an image of my actual GPS.

When I bought the GPS, it was listed as a Neo6m and is identical apart from the different sticker on the chip on the back which is what caused the confusion with the commands.

The circuit diagram was to illustrate how I had the multimeter connected to the gps to measure its current.

srnet, Here is the edited image of the connections (with my actual GPS module) as you can see it is very similar.

Does this make it clearer??

Thanks.