GPS module slow

Hi all,

I recently purchased the libelium GPS module for the arduino which was linked on the arduino from page (http://www.libelium.com/squidbee/index.php?title=GPS_module), and have been experimenting with it for a while. I realise this isnt a strictly arduino related problem, but the module seems to be taking an unusually long time to get a position, at least 45 minutes usually :-?.

If anyone has any idea why this is happening, that would be awesome. The module did come with a 5m antenna, which seems kinda long for this type of application, but i dont really know.

Thanks in advance,
Earl

It obviously depends on your environment - although I’m suprised that it doesn’t send you a “give up” message before 45 minutes…

Are you at least outside? In an urban setting? Good view of the sky? Lot’s of tall buildings around? Lots of surfaces that could be giving multipath errors?

Im on my back deck now using it, but i was in the middle of a large open park yesterday and had a similar situation. It kept sending me a longitude and latitude of 00000.00000 then after about half an hour/forty mins it gave me a correct location.

It sounds like the module is not remembering the last time and position it locked. The GPS systems I have used remember this to make it quicker to lock the position. Without this it could take a long time but I would not have thougt that long.