GPS Navigation system

Hello everyone!

I wish to develop a navigation system that basically assists a blind person to move from one place to another. So basically we will compare the current GPS position with the stored goal GPS coordinates and then with the help of vibrations, the user can navigate to the endpoint.

Grateful if you could please guide me on how to proceed. (what equipment would be required/ any useful resources/ the methodology)
I found the following link (https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:957841/FULLTEXT01.pdf)

I can point you at code which is a Working program that will, using an attached GPS, give you a readout on a display that is the distance and direction to a set of provided GPS co-ordinates.

However, that is the very easy part of the navigation system you describe, since you would need to account for card, roads, rivers, mountains, oceans etc getting in the way.

Grateful for any resources that you may provide.

Which method do you think would be the most suitable for navigation?

I am a Computer Science student and this is my very first IoT project. How easy is it going to be?

Truly appreciate your input!

GPS can tell you your position, and therefore how far you are away from another position and the direction you need to travel to get there. Great if you are in a flat featureless desert, but not so much in areas with obstacles such as roads, rivers etc. You would need to tap into other sources of information as previously indicated.

That would probably then tap into route planning algorithms (shortest distance, flattest route etc). I would also imagine that you would need some sort of man/woman portable device that could detect obstacles not in your databases as well.

I would be tempted to look at existing sat nav systems which have some form of output you could use for directions .
The problem you have is you need a map stored on the device to tell which way to go You can’t go from A to B without a map as hinted at above as you need to avoid buildings etc .
You won’t be t able to obtain map data and it’s beyond Arduino Anyway

You also on need a method for the blind person to set where he wants to go making it an even harder project , which might be why none
are available

I'd start by looking at existing systems that do this. Wikipedia has a list here.

It might help you consider what it would take to make a better one.

The basic mathematical formulas (course, distance and bearing) for GPS navigation are presented here: Calculate distance and bearing between two Latitude/Longitude points using haversine formula in JavaScript

For heading (the direction a craft, vehicle or person is pointed), most people use a digital compass, as the GPS receiver can't determine that.

It sort of makes an attempt, but its between fix locations, which vary of course.

At long distances the GPS 'heading' is OK, at short distances, 10-50m maybe, its significantly not useful.

I would put that in stronger terms. For a person who is walking (the subject of this thread), and occasionally stops, the GPS "heading" is so erratic as to be nearly useless.

What do you guys think of the following link GPS Voice Assistant for Visually Impaired People - Hackster.io

Do you guys have any idea if I try to do it somewhat similar to Google Assistant using raspberry Pi? (using Google Map API)

The GPS Voice Assistant is ridiculous overkill, failure prone due to its complexity and seems to require access to the internet and the cloud, which is totally unnecessary.

Your original idea for a beginner school or personal project is doable:

we will compare the current GPS position with the stored goal GPS coordinates and then with the help of vibrations, the user can navigate to the endpoint

1 Like

An Arduino forum seems to be an odd place to discuss this, since the most immediately practical hardware platform is a common cellphone. :astonished:

Hello everyone!
What do you guys think of the following thread? Arduino turn by turn navigation system - #4 by CrossRoads
Could you please give me some advice? It seems to be a great idea to extract navigation instructions from google map and send them to Arduino by Bluetooth. When we have to turn in any particular direction, the motor vibrates accordingly.

If your going to use a phone\tablet to extract the navigation instructions from Google maps and then tell the Arduino to do something, why bother with the Arduino at all ?

My point exactly. :roll_eyes:

Plenty of research has been done and published on the topic, and navigational devices for the blind are available. I suggest that you read up on them, as well as consult with blind people, and decide for yourself.

1 Like

Hello everyone!
Yesterday I was reading my AI school book and found a example about this : OrCam MyEye 2.0 - For People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired

Maybe this is related to the discussion so I shared it here (I'm not sponsored!!). There's also a Wikipedia page for this product.

Regards.