GPS (NE06M) lots of satellites but no fix

This is perplexing me!

I am getting no fix from my NE06M GPS module on the NANO. I get 10-16 satellites listed in GPGSV and all are showing a good signal strength (30+). I did my development on a UNO and everything worked fine on the UNO.

So I went back to the UNO and back to the simplest of code.

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
SoftwareSerial ss(4, 5);

void setup()  
{ 
  Serial.begin(9600);
  ss.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
  if (ss.available()) {
    char c = ss.read();
    Serial.write(c);
  }
}

Everything worked fine again on the UNO, as expected, so I tried the same simple code on the NANO and it still would not work.

So… I went back to basics. Just connecting the gps to +5v and GND (no tx or rx), since the gps led will start flashing when it has a fix.

On the UNO it starts flashing after 30 second and the NANO it never flashes (even after 24 hours!)

The UNO provides 5.5V to the gps and the NANO provides 4.99v to the gps. The NE06M does has a voltage regulator on board dropping to 3.3V.

I am now going to check the voltages via an oscilloscope to see if there is a dirty signal on the power (both via USB cables) which is affecting the gps unit and I will also try alternative power supply instead of using the USB cables.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I will report back any observations for future reference.

The USB cable for the NANO seems to have been the problem. Worth bearing in mind all you with “no fix” issues, and it appears that there are many of you out there!

I have attached the oscilloscope images on the 5v supplies to the gps from NANO and the UNO. The NANO voltage is ‘dirty’ and is fluctuating around 5v and the frequency of the fluctuation must be affecting the gps. I am not really interested in the cause, I will just find a better shielded usb cable for the NANO. I was lucky that tThe UNO came complete with a good USB cable.

I powered the NANO from the UNO 5v rail and this resolved the problem, as I got an immediate “fix”.

Additional information...

It also seems that the gps on-board battery (small hearing aid type at around 3v) was not holding its voltage, so the gps needed longer to get a fix each time it was powered back on. I believe that it needs its last position, which seems to aid faster solving of the algorithms.

I added two re-chargeable triple-A 1.2v batteries (to keep below the 3.6v maximum, as stated on the ublox data sheet) and now I get a fix in a few seconds after powering up.

I hope all this helps someone. It has been a frustrating week for me researching the likely cause of my nano problem, so I hope this saves someone some time and similar frustrations.

could you please show us the connection you made for gps module.

I am also facing same problem...

PhilipBusby:
The USB cable for the NANO seems to have been the problem. Worth bearing in mind all you with "no fix" issues, and it appears that there are many of you out there!

I have attached the oscilloscope images on the 5v supplies to the gps from NANO and the UNO. The NANO voltage is 'dirty' and is fluctuating around 5v and the frequency of the fluctuation must be affecting the gps. I am not really interested in the cause, I will just find a better shielded usb cable for the NANO. I was lucky that tThe UNO came complete with a good USB cable.

I powered the NANO from the UNO 5v rail and this resolved the problem, as I got an immediate "fix".

Never trust a thin USB cable, BTW, always go for the thick wire ones, then you have some chance of low resistance power leads.