GPS Project

I have an idea for a device that warns me when I arrive at a specific location. As a newbie I am not sure how to start. Here are a few questions that may help me solve this:

1. Can you compare the co-ordinates entered in the code with your present position?
  2. In what form are the co-ordinate stored on the Arduino?
  3. Can you connect a device with a prerecorded message, which will play when the co-ordinates match?

I'm sure that I will have many moire questions when I get going, but these will do for now.

1. Yes.

2. It depends on how you read the GPS. If you use the TinyGPS libary, coordinates are stored as long integers. The last time I looked, they are stored as degrees*10^6. Coordinates stored as float values are limited at best to 100 meters in precision.

3. Yes.

thudson: 3. Can you connect a device with a prerecorded message, which will play when the co-ordinates match?

You can try - but it isn't very likely you'll get an exact match. Instead, you need to match based on a "range" or "percentage near" match (match when the distances between the coordinates get within some range value).