gr63x55 dunkermotoren with RE30-2 motor controller

I love the name of the company. Anyway…

I got this motor out of one of those transfusion pumps that someone was tossing, and have use for a stepper or otherwise thats going to need a little bit of torque and I’m pretty sure this will deliver (at almost 5lbs, it ought to…) - plus it was free :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I’m new to working with steppers and what not and while I think this thing is going to be way over kill for my needs, I’m still curious and would at least like to be able to make it work - even if I don’t end up using it.

Here’s the page on the motor and controller (hopefully the link wont go dead): GR 63x55

this is a direct link to the datasheet on the controller: RE 30

12 volts for the motor, 5 for the controller. The controller appears to draw to much power for the arduino (I’ve also got an easydriver but I think its probably too much for that as well). In any case, I’m a bit unclear from the data sheet what exactly I’m supposed to do… The wiring doesn’t seem to quite match the controller model, but it definitely says RE30 on the back and RE30-2-500 on the side, but the connector has 4 wires in a 5 pin connector in the following order:
1-Black
2-Empty (though if I unplug it, there is actually a pin there)
3-Yellow
4-Red
5-Green

(The motor has separate red & black leads for power)

Attached a couple of pics - tried to clean them up, but the motor is silver so it was hard to get good light on it.

If this is an asked and answered, I apologize - I wasn’t quite sure what to look for.

According to your photo of the motor plate, that is the 60 volt version of the motor. "U" is the German shorthand for the potential (voltage) of the power supply. It is a brushed DC motor, with a starting current of 20 amperes, according to the motor data sheet.

If you want to use it at the rated voltage, you will have a hard time finding a suitable motor controller on the hobby market. You might look into the transfusion pump to see if you can salvage the controller. The motor will run on 12 V, but at greatly reduced RPM and torque.

The RE 30 is not a controller. It is a shaft encoder that you can use to control the RPMs or absolute shaft rotation or angle, if you have the proper controller.

Nice find, though!

RE20: Definitely an encoder, should need much current to power it I'd have thought (its probably an LED and two phototransistors).

That motor is rated at 100W electrical, the torque and speed suggest 90W mechnical output if you're lucky.

The 60V one will thus have a rated full-load current of 1.7A and a stall current of 20A is possible, definitely not a starting current, and this sort of current will very quickly fry the motor as that's 1.2kW!! All they are really saying is the windings are 3 ohm... Use with a 60V supply of 2A or so and all will be well I suspect.

At 1.7A the windings dissipate 9W or so, which seems reasonable, explains the difference between electrical and mechanical power nicely.

PS. mechnical power = rated full load torque (in N-m) x full load speed (in rad/s)

Hi, I've 2 motors with same encoders RE30-2-500 but I don't see a reference for pin number 1... encoders are old... can you help me?

causalloop: I love the name of the company. Anyway..

I got this motor out of one of those transfusion pumps that someone was tossing, and have use for a stepper or otherwise thats going to need a little bit of torque and I'm pretty sure this will deliver (at almost 5lbs, it ought to...) - plus it was free :-P

Anyway, I'm new to working with steppers and what not and while I think this thing is going to be way over kill for my needs, I'm still curious and would at least like to be able to make it work - even if I don't end up using it.

Here's the page on the motor and controller (hopefully the link wont go dead): GR 63x55

this is a direct link to the datasheet on the controller: RE 30

12 volts for the motor, 5 for the controller. The controller appears to draw to much power for the arduino (I've also got an easydriver but I think its probably too much for that as well). In any case, I'm a bit unclear from the data sheet what exactly I'm supposed to do... The wiring doesn't seem to quite match the controller model, but it definitely says RE30 on the back and RE30-2-500 on the side, but the connector has 4 wires in a 5 pin connector in the following order: 1-Black 2-Empty (though if I unplug it, there is actually a pin there) 3-Yellow 4-Red 5-Green

(The motor has separate red & black leads for power)

Attached a couple of pics - tried to clean them up, but the motor is silver so it was hard to get good light on it.

If this is an asked and answered, I apologize - I wasn't quite sure what to look for.