grain dryer

We have a shivvers' grain dryer. The electronic's of this thing are straight out of the 80's, however it does a beautiful job of drying corn!

I am a arduino nub, and this is my first big project. I think I'd like to use this ajax project i found for my bases, i put together the example and that worked quite well. However i'm going to need to read in via a rs232 the data in this picture

What is the best way to pull that data in and store it on the SD card were my web page is?

Also any other tips on a large project like this? Here is what the real control panel looks like.

Any data listed on the number displays is printed on the ticker tape, so i'm hoping that if i can read that data in and store it then i can have the webserver pull it back and display it on the ajax web page. Also any of the led's i can just plug into digital inputs and detect for high or low.

Further more I wouldn't be apposed to paying for some help in this endeavor.

thanks,

Have you tried pulling any data via that data port?

A small insight, which could be worth reading.
RS232 Protocol

PS:

Seeming as the thing has power, a raspberry Pi with a python script, mySQL server and Apache may be a way forward?

There seem to be simple RS232 to UART level converters for the raspberry Pi.

Johnny010:
Have you tried pulling any data via that data port?

A small insight, which could be worth reading.
RS232 Protocol

i have captured formatted data w/ a PC using some rs232 listening software. The printer is pretty old school, you have to set the date in the printer and then it time stamps everything. The printer also adds the hard return after every line. When i captured the raw data from rs232 all i got was a long string.

godfather55v:
i have captured formatted data w/ a PC using some rs232 listening software. The printer is pretty old school, you have to set the date in the printer and then it time stamps everything. The printer also adds the hard return after every line. When i captured the raw data from rs232 all i got was a long string.

The "ON" and I am assuming "OFF" in the data stream will help with parsing the string in python.