grazing animal check-in at drinking bowl

HI all,

I am quite new to arduino, done little so far, but I try to learn through actual projects.

Here's my new project: I want to be able to follow and log how 10-20 goats check in at the water bowl. So each of them would have some sort of transmitter hangin in their neck and when they get close to the receiver neir the bowl, it notices them and creates a log.

I first thought this should be very easy, but as I do research I find out it is more complicated then one might think. The water bowl is a long rectange shaped metal trough, about 30cm30cm300cm.

I think RFID as a solution can be ruled out because of the short range. I tought of using an rf transmitter, limiting it's range with low voltage, but that I am afraid that would not be possible with this many animals, many of them drink at the same time.

I welcome any help and suggestion! Thank you!

I’d start with either a long wire antenna around the waterbowl, or a gate/chute where the goats have to pass in order to reach the water.

RFID is prolly the widest solution, but you could look into other low-power technologies.

There is a gate, but it is about 2m wide. The antenna is a good idea. Thanks.

A 2m gate is a good candidate for RFID. There are anti-theft tags used in shops that work with such principles, and have actually a unique code stored on each tag that can be read.

You will get at least two readings per goat as they visit the watering hole. You may have to filter it out, e.g. multiple readings of the same goat within 5-10 minutes is still the same visit.

Normal RFID tag readers have problems with multiple tags in the RF field at the same time but UHF RFID would maybe do this.
Maybe watch this to get an idea.

wvmarle:
There are anti-theft tags used in shops that work with such principles, and have actually a unique code stored on each tag that can be read.

wow didn’t think about that… great!

Jus t don’t get cought when harvesting unused tags in shops :wink:

wvmarle:
There are anti-theft tags used in shops that work with such principles, and have actually a unique code stored on each tag that can be read.

Really? Have a link for that?

No link; I ran into this when doing some reading about how anti-theft tags actually work. Apparently there are tags that are left in the clothing (mostly higher end), and when sold the tag is registered as "sold" so the alarm won't go off when it's passing through the gates.

Passive RFID, when walking through the maximum distance to either side of the gate is of course no more than about 1 meter.

wvmarle:
Apparently there are tags that are left in the clothing (mostly higher end), and when sold the tag is registered as "sold" so the alarm won't go off when it's passing through the gates.

Clothing tags are the only ones usually removed at the point of sale.

Most tags firmly stuck on items are fuzed during checkout by passing over a high frequency AC field.

This has nothing to do with a unique identity; they are either active or inactivated. :astonished:

The exception is library book tags which have a magnetised element which alters their resonance so they can be repeatedly activated and deactivated indefinitely. This still has nothing to do with a unique identity; they are either active or inactivated.

There is really no use for individual identity in security tags, it is a "go"/ "no go" situation.