GRBL - Arduino Boards Compatibility

Hi. New member here.

My project is to build a cnc platform running with GRBL + Arduino

1. It looks like GRBL hex file is writen for atmega328/164/1280/2560, is it posible to load it to work on atmega32u4? Is it possible to run on smaller boards such as Arduino Mini/Nano/etc.?

2. on the GRBL site they said GRBL source code can be downloaded but I didn't see the link. Anyone?

Download link is on the right side of the page.

1a. If you ask Aunt Google, you will find some links to downloadable GRBL files for 324u (e.g. Leonardo); but they all seem to be behind the latest "normal" GRBL versions, but it might sufficient anyway.

1b. Yes, it is possible to have GRBL work on "smaller" Arduinos, like a Nano, which is running here without problems on GRBL v0.9j. You have to make sure that your breakout board is prepared to support the "right" pins (e.g. step pins, dir pins); there is another thread in the "motors" section of this forum where a TO reports about Chinese boards that come with "wrong" setup of those pins.

1. You got in post #2 a link to the git hub site; think of saving the hex file by "right"-mouse clicking (context menu: save link as)

thanks rpt007 I can see hex file v0.8c on 32u4 now.

1a. So you saying if I upload v0.9j (writen for 328) on to 32u4 , it will not work. Correct?

1b. So the Nano is ok to go for v0.9j? The worst case would be just a wrong pin which we could trace it back and fix it. Right?

1. I was thinking about tweaking v0.9j codes to make it run on 32u4 that's why I asked. If the Nano is ok to work with so we could skip tweaking. :grin:

rpt007:
1a. If you ask Aunt Google, you will find some links to downloadable GRBL files for 324u (e.g. Leonardo); but they all seem to be behind the latest "normal" GRBL versions, but it might sufficient anyway.

1b. Yes, it is possible to have GRBL work on "smaller" Arduinos, like a Nano, which is running here without problems on GRBL v0.9j. You have to make sure that your breakout board is prepared to support the "right" pins (e.g. step pins, dir pins); there is another thread in the "motors" section of this forum where a TO reports about Chinese boards that come with "wrong" setup of those pins.

1. You got in post #2 a link to the git hub site; think of saving the hex file by "right"-mouse clicking (context menu: save link as)

nathancamp:
Download link is on the right side of the page.

GitHub - grbl/grbl: An open source, embedded, high performance g-code-parser and CNC milling controller written in optimized C that will run on a straight Arduino

Thanks nathancamp I looked 6 times (3 before your post and 3 after) and realized it is not that straight forward but anyway, I got the zip file.

1a. So you saying if I upload v0.9j (writen for 328) on to 32u4 , it will not work. Correct?

YES - the 32u4 is NOT an 328

1b. So the Nano is ok to go for v0.9j? The worst case would be just a wrong pin which we could trace it back and fix it. Right?

YES

1. I was thinking about tweaking v0.9j codes to make it run on 32u4 that's why I asked. If the Nano is ok to work with so we could skip tweaking.

If you are able to tweak it - that should do; but you must exactly know where and what to tweak. I have no idea if it is complicated or not as I didn't care so far.

Thanks rpt007 I think I will have a go with v0.9j on Nano board w/ FTDI chip on board then.