GRBL for drawers

New guy here asking for some help. I am working on trying to use stepper motors as linear actuators for small drawers (~5lbs loaded). I have used linear actuators in the past and it always comes down to how slow they are and the size (relay shields, limit switches, etc.). I like the idea of being able to define the steps a steppers takes to open/close a drawer/door. I was able to load grbl and use GRBL Controller software to test the motors attached to a CNC shield. They all worked great, but now I want to set something up where I press a button (Nextion HMI touchscreen to an Arduino) and the drawer opens swiftly and accurately, then closes correctly. I am semi-familiar with coding for Arduino, but how would you propose I use the CNC shield and Arduino code to achieve this? I should note, I have a few motor shields, but have not been successful in getting the stepper to move using them. I appreciate any help or insight you might have.

@cmckay7483

TOPIC SPLIT
DO NOT HIJACK / NECRO POST !

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

Here is an image showing which Uno pins go to which CNC shield pins. Note that the CNC shield holds the stepper enable pin [Uno pin 8] high so the steppers are disabled by default. Write a LOW to pin 8 (as OUTPUT) to enable the steppers.

cnc shield Uno pins.jpg

The CNC shield.

cnc shield Uno pins.jpg

Thanks Fungus! This actually helps me a lot!