Great value 4x4x4 LED cube kit

I just ordered one of these ICStation LED Cube. Not sure how they do it for the price, but no doubt there will not be much documentation and I can have fun figuring it out (construction and software). This will be my first cube :slight_smile:

Thought others may want to know about it.

If you have already built one, what is your experience and/or tips?

In my opinion its a bad design Marco.

Its not going to be very bright, because the current from up to 16 leds would have to be sourced/sunk by one Arduino pin.

There is only one series resistor per layer. There should be 16. That means that if a single led is lit on a layer, it will be much brighter than if all 16 leds on the layer are lit.

So if 16 leds are on in parrallel, sinking/sourcing current from a single Arduino output with a 500R series resistor and a 1:4 multiplex ratio... the average current received by each led will be extremely low.

It could be improved considerably with 16 series resistors and 4 transistors, but the shield was not designed to allow those components to be added.

Paul

I also wonder if they provide any code examples with it. It is alright for you smart guys but writing code for a cube controlled by two shift registers isn't that easy for beginners. It certainly is cheap though. Let us know how you go Marco as I'm sure you will code up a storm on yours :sunglasses:

In my opinion its a bad design

I guess that answers the question, so I will be prepared to be disappointed :). I am guessing, though, that leaving a LED is on for shorter time it will appear dimmer, so using POV and adjusting the time that the LED is lit may partially compensate for the difference in brightness (one LED stays on less time than many LEDs on at the same time). We'll see.

It could be improved considerably with 16 series resistors and 4 transistors, but the shield was not designed to allow those components to be added.

A future project maybe!

I also wonder if they provide any code examples with it.

It says they provide a library and example code in small type as part of the product spec. Can't find it on the web site so I'll be following up with an enquiry soon. Some of the fun will be working out how to run it efficiently, though, as most example code is simplistic at best.

marco_c: Some of the fun will be working out how to run it efficiently, though, as most example code is simplistic at best.

I for one am interested to see what you come up with code-wise. Please keep us informed Marco 8)

For the record here is the ICStation code for this product. Surprisingly small amount of code.

Arduino_5312.zip (5.41 KB)

What am I missing here. That code does not compile

Compiles on my system. You need to put it in the sketchbook/libraries folder and compile the example.

It would be very interesting if only "ICStation" were on line.

Just now, it isn't, but I will try again tomorrow.