Grey-scale images on monochrome displays

I have experimented a little today with displaying greyscale image on a 2.7" 176x264 pixel ePaper display using Floyd Steinberg dithering.

It works well on ePaper displays, there follows some screenshots (each image is 176x264 pixels):

1. Top left is the classic image processing picture of Lena Söderberg in 8 bit grey-scale (255 levels + black)
  2. Top right is an image using a simple threshold of 128 (pixels with grey-scale value less than128 = black)
  3. Bottom left is using the dithering, all pixels are black or white but the eye averages the density
  4. Bottom right is an experimental algorithm with contrast stretching

https://i.imgur.com/hZmEhPr.png

Sketch to follow (only uses drawPixel) when I have made it more presentable!

This is a test pattern showing how the dot density changes compared with a grey-scale image on the right, there are some artifacts that more sophisticated approaches eliminate.

The key function is embedded in a library example here.

To avoid multiple passes through the image the function uses line buffers so a processor board with at least (3*width) bytes is needed. The example also uses SPIFFS on an ESP8266 so some small adaptions would be needed to use an SD library for image storage. The 8 bit images in BMP format use a colour lookup table so that uses up to 256bytes more RAM. A Mega or Due would cope OK.

A bug has been fixed in Githib.

More tests have been done to verify the colour lookup is working correctly (first Lena test image by "luck" had a 1:1 correspondence between the grey level and the index!). The rendered image contrast has improved compared to post #1 due to an earlier bug fix.