Griduino - Serial Monitor for Windows

Hi all,

After a year with my first Arduino, I feel much to contribute to this community which helped me a lot.

During this busy year, I pushed the limits of Arduino every day. As codes get bigger I have needed to debug more values simultaneously, where Arduino software’s serial monitor could not helped me much. It is very hard to catch many numbers and strings as they scroll.

So, I have decided to write a Excel looking program to see values more organized; Griduino. Actually I just packed the codes of great people below;

MFC Grid Control - Chris Maunder
Enumerate Serial - PJ Naughter
Serial Communication - Thierry Schneider

So, how it is used;
It is much like same as writing to Arduino serial monitor, except you have to tell Griduino which cell to write. Cell ranges are; A to Z columns and 1 to 99 rows, which makes 2574 cells. I guess it is enough variables to monitor. Each write to Griduino must start with a reference to a cell, next write will have the value. And also Serial.println() must be used to write because Griduino will be waiting for ‘\r’ and ‘\n’ characters to terminate, which is sent by println.

this will write text “Min” to cell A1;

Serial.println("A1"); Serial.println("Min");

When you want to send a value from Griduino to Arduino, select a cell, type and enter. Griduino will send the cell reference first and value next with terminating character ‘\n’ on both.

this will echo the integer number typed in cell B1 to C1;

if(Serial.available()>0)
 {
  char  Cell[4] = {};
  char  Val[20] = {};

Serial.readBytesUntil('\n',Cell,4);
  Serial.readBytesUntil('\n',Val,20);

if(strcmp(Cell,"B1")==0)
  {
   int Min = atoi(Val);
   Serial.println("C1"); Serial.println(Min);
  }
 }

It will wait for a message from Griduino, if there is a message, will read until ‘\n’ and 4 characters most and within timeout (see readBytesUntil reference). The first read will get the reference to the cell, next read will get the value. Compares the cell reference with your need, if it matches uses the value.

That’s it; I guess it is easy to use and 2574 values can be read and writen.

Have fun…

Griduino.png

Griduino.zip (50.3 KB)