Ground-side switch output?

Hello, I am very new to Arduino, and really I am doing the hardware side of this project with my son. I am trying to get a circuit built but its best performance is when the processor output is a ground-side control. This is similar to automotive applications of processing modules. They provide the ground to turn a component on. Can the Arduino One board be configured to do this? I know we can get 5v out of it on its outputs, but I’m having a hard time finding any reference to doing it the other way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Might need a more detailed example of what you need, but standard arduino output pins can both source (when HIGH) and sink (when low) current, but with a current limit of 40 milliamps absolute maximum. If higher current is required then additional output components are required, like mosfet switching transistors that can be configured for high or low side switching.

Taking a wild stab at your vague description, I'm going to guess you want some form of open-collector circuit connected to your arduino. I'd use either a 2n7000 or 3N3904 as two typical examples of those for up to maybe 100ma (give or take, they can go higher).

They provide the ground to turn a component on.

If you don’t mind, can we henceforth refer to this process as SINKING CURRENT (for a device) ?