Grounding The Reset pin

Hello All,

My question is about resetting the arduino using the reset pin.
If the reset pin is grounded using a momentary NO switch, Reset works fine.
But Is it okay to use a toggle type NO switch. (Such as E-Stop push button).
I tried simulating it by just pressing momentary switch for long time and it works.
Do you guys think its a bad idea?

All I want is my Arduino to reset on pushing E-stop button. (I am also planning to cut power supply to moving parts using a NC contact on same Push-button, but keeping power on to arduino.)

Thanks in Advance. I am bit new to Arduino environment.

Removing power for external things, motors, drivers etc. before removing the Arduino power is very good practise and will protect Your electronics from danger.

Holding the processor in reset indefinitely will not harm the processor. However since you are powering everything down anyway, it seems strange that you can't just power down the Arduino at the same time...

Thanks aarg. Appreciate your help.Yes, I could power down Arduino as well. I just wanted to be safe that maybe stepper motors will still produce motion for few seconds if I didn't reset it. I could be wrong though, haven't tested it yet.

Be aware that all the I/O pins are in a high impedance state during the reset condition.

Not any problem regarding #1. If not, yes, things might burn.

Mani5678:
Hello All,

My question is about resetting the arduino using the reset pin.
If the reset pin is grounded using a momentary NO switch, Reset works fine.
But Is it okay to use a toggle type NO switch. (Such as E-Stop push button).
I tried simulating it by just pressing momentary switch for long time and it works.
Do you guys think its a bad idea?

All I want is my Arduino to reset on pushing E-stop button. (I am also planning to cut power supply to moving parts using a NC contact on same Push-button, but keeping power on to arduino.)

Thanks in Advance. I am bit new to Arduino environment.

Mixing high and low voltage on the same switch in the same enclosure especially with single insulation cabling could violate local authority wiring rules as can relying on software to control and emergency stop (if that is your intention)