Hello everyone! I am trying to build a little grow light for some plants to help them grow in the winter times and with the little available light from a gloomy window.
I already have an Arduino Mega 2560 for this project so I will be using this one.
I was wondering if anyone could advice in what would be the best way to approach this project in particular what "source light" would be best.
I already have a strip of Warm White LED 12v 3528 left from another project. I reckon the strip will be around 75 LED long. Ideally I would like to use this so that I don't have to buy extra materials but I also read that the best light to for plants are Deep Blue, Deep Red and White. So I am also considering the following options:
- 16x Single strong 3W or 1W LED (8x red and 8x blue). Like these
- Buying another strip of 12v RGB LED and have it permanently set to Violet/Purple. Basicly following this tutorial minus the smartphone part as I only want the Arduino Program to Turn the power ON for 12h and then OFF for 8h, nothing else.
I understand that all these options I will need a 12v power supply for the strip to be configured with the TIP31 Transistors like in the tutorial and this brings me to the next 3 questions:
- What sort of wattage should the 12v LED strip power supply have 24,36,60...?
- What power supply should I get if instead I decided to use the Single 1W or 3W LED?
- Will any of these power supplies will be able to also provide current to the Arduino Mega? I would just like to have the all system taking up only 1 plug from the wall XD
Thanks a lot for any help you'll be able to give me!