Grow Room Controller Suggestions

Here's my original post: Arduino Forum
I'm looking for suggestions(hopefully some help with code optimization :roll_eyes:) and possible new ideas to implement into the project.
Any polite criticism is appreciated :slight_smile:
Here's a like to the project page alsohttp://arduinogrc.blogspot.com/

I'm looking for suggestions(hopefully some help with code optimization ) and possible new ideas to implement into the project.

With no identified issues, specific project info, and code provided, this post may need to go the exhibition area. If you need more ideas, you may want to do a google search of this forum for hyponics, aquarium, brewing, and similar key words. These topics usually have a lot of process control discussion that might be of interest.

Watering? Washing machine inlet valves are cheap and widely available.

Any new thoughts on lighting timing? I had mine (UV Fluorescents) go off 6 hours a night but I never found any hard information on whether the was necessary or recommended.

The Reef Aquarium guys change lighting levels, and spectrum over a day…

zoomkat:

I'm looking for suggestions(hopefully some help with code optimization ) and possible new ideas to implement into the project.

With no identified issues, specific project info, and code provided, this post may need to go the exhibition area. If you need more ideas, you may want to do a google search of this forum for hyponics, aquarium, brewing, and similar key words. These topics usually have a lot of process control discussion that might be of interest.

I listed the project page above that has all the info and a download link to the code(which is to long to post on here): arduinogrc.blogspot.com, there aren't any issues i've worked them all out(pretty sure), I have several ideas of what to work on next but I would like some opinions from the Arduino community. But I agree, the exhibition area would be more suitable.

terryking228:
Watering? Washing machine inlet valves are cheap and widely available.

Any new thoughts on lighting timing? I had mine (UV Fluorescents) go off 6 hours a night but I never found any hard information on whether the was necessary or recommended.

The Reef Aquarium guys change lighting levels, and spectrum over a day..

I'm considering automated watering, washing machine valves sound very promising $), but I also would want to be able to add fertilizer which would require a resivour and a pump. I found some analog soil moisture sensors that also look promising here: Soil Moisture Sensor - VH400

The light(1000W Metal halide) is already timed. I have a DS1307 Real-time Clock and I use the Time, TimeAlarms, and DS1307 libraries to set Real-time alarms, my lights turn off for 6 hours durring the mid-day to make temperature control a little more efficient.

I have looked into aquarium lights. They cover the lower spectrum(violet not ultraviolet) that is used in photosynthesis much better that HID lighting but they lack the light intensity I want :P, maybe if I had several sets it would be worth while. I have also considered using high powered LEDs for this purpose but I haven't been able to find a model that covers the 400-420nm(despite hours of googleing) part of the light spectrum(the most essential part of the light spectrum used by photosynthesis). Maybe I should google "high intensity aquarium lighting" and see if fluorescent lights give me better luck that LEDs.

I found some analog soil moisture sensors that also look promising

Here's one that is real low cost and apparently solves the polarization problem with (duh!) and H-Bridge :slight_smile:

http://gardenbot.org/howTo/soilMoisture/

terryking228:

I found some analog soil moisture sensors that also look promising

Here's one that is real low cost and apparently solves the polarization problem with (duh!) and H-Bridge :slight_smile:

A cheap soil moisture sensor - GardenBot

Sweet, I think I'm gunna use that for my Grow Room Controller, the only problem is I gotta rig up 6 of 'em :sweat_smile:

I'd also gave to get my hands on some A-to-D converters otherwise I'd be using all of my onboard A-to-D converters.

On the page it also recommends putting a temperature sensor in the ground along with it which I think I'm going to do, I think some insulated DS18B20's will do the trick, they use OneWire protocol so I can get the temperature from all of them only using one pin. :smiley-mr-green

After I get those set up I can get a valve-reservoir-pump setup that can water each plant individually on a as needed basis(Still need to figure that out lol)

Then After I have that set up i could add a Ph sensor(I've done quite a bit of reading on this topic) for the reservoir that'll eventually automatically adjust the Ph level (That would be awesome XD) followed by the ability to add nutrients to the reservoir.

Once all that's done and working well I could probably let the System do almost all of the work ]:smiley: lol
And I'm sure it could be easily adapted to a hydroponics system once finished $)

I think some insulated DS18B20's will do the trick, they use OneWire protocol so I can get the temperature from all of them only using one pin. :smiley-mr-green

I really like these and many people are using them in growlabs, aquariums, aquaponics etc etc. Info at bottom of this page:
http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Brick-Temperature-DS18B20

More on Temp/Humidity measurements here: http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/TemperatureHumidity

What are all the 16 analog inputs used for now??

terryking228:
I really like these and many people are using them in growlabs, aquariums, aquaponics etc etc. Info at bottom of this page:
http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Brick-Temperature-DS18B20

More on Temp/Humidity measurements here: http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/TemperatureHumidity

What are all the 16 analog inputs used for now??

They are quite nifty, they have given me more issues than most sensors but I think they will work well with my project, and thank you for the link, buying pre-assembled waterproof ones will save me quite a bit of time.

Lol, for some reason I thought the Mega had only 6 analog pins like the Uno. The 16 pins on the Mega will be more than enough.