growing lions mane mushrooms with arduino

I'm trying to use an arduino to control the humidity in a closed environment and run a small fan to exchange air in the box. I have the AM2302 sensor (AM2302 (wired DHT22) temperature-humidity sensor : ID 393 : $15.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits) to monitor the humidity/temperature, a standard 16x2 lcd to display these values, a 12v peristaltic pump (Peristaltic Liquid Pump with Silicone Tubing - 12V DC Power : ID 1150 : $24.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits), but i havent picked a fan yet. I want to run the circuit using a 12v dc adapter to the arduino's Vin so the pump runs at full speed but the humidity sensor can only take 3-5V. I'm a beginner at creating circuits so i dont know the best/most efficient way of powering the pump at 12V and dropping the voltage down to 5V to power the sensor, and lcd.

A common way to get a regulated 5v is to use a 7805 voltage regulator. However if the sensor only draws a few milliamps you can power it from the Arduino's 5v pin.

Be sure NOT to draw power for the pump or the fan THROUGH the Arduino board.

...R

Hi,

I'm trying to use an arduino to control the humidity in a closed environment and run a small fan to exchange air in the box.
I have the AM2302 sensor
(AM2302 (wired DHT22) temperature-humidity sensor : ID 393 : $15.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits)
to monitor the humidity/temperature,
A standard 16x2 lcd to display these values.
A 12v peristaltic pump
(Peristaltic Liquid Pump with Silicone Tubing - 12V DC Power : ID 1150 : $24.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits).
But i havent picked a fan yet.
I want to run the circuit using a 12v dc adapter to the arduino's Vin so the pump runs at full speed but the humidity sensor can only take 3-5V.
I'm a beginner at creating circuits so i dont know the best/most efficient way of powering the pump at 12V and dropping the voltage down to 5V to power the sensor, and lcd.

Sorry , but it looks easier to read.
Thank you for including links to parts.
If you look in your link for the AM2302, you will find a link to examples and a library to use in your program.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,Sorry , but it looks easier to read.

I have seen you do this before and I agree completely with the desirability of clearer layout of text. May I suggest the use of some white space in addition so it is like this

I'm trying to use an arduino to control the humidity in a closed environment and run a small fan to exchange air in the box.

I have the AM2302 sensor (AM2302 (wired DHT22) temperature-humidity sensor : ID 393 : $15.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits) to monitor the humidity/temperature,

A standard 16x2 lcd to display these values.

A 12v peristaltic pump (Peristaltic Liquid Pump with Silicone Tubing - 12V DC Power : ID 1150 : $24.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits).

But i havent picked a fan yet.

I want to run the circuit using a 12v dc adapter to the arduino's Vin so the pump runs at full speed but the humidity sensor can only take 3-5V.

I'm a beginner at creating circuits so i dont know the best/most efficient way of powering the pump at 12V and dropping the voltage down to 5V to power the sensor, and lcd.

Just my 3 cents

...R

Robin2:
A common way to get a regulated 5v is to use a 7805 voltage regulator. However if the sensor only draws a few milliamps you can power it from the Arduino's 5v pin.

Be sure NOT to draw power for the pump or the fan THROUGH the Arduino board.

...R

how would i connect the dc adapter without going through the arduino? Also how would i power the arduino? I would like this project to work without being connected to a usb port.

Mull22:
how would i connect the dc adapter without going through the arduino?

Crudely, cut the plug off and connect extra wires so you have connections for the Arduino and for other things.

If you leave a reasonable length of wire on the plug you can still use it. Just make absolutely sure you know which part of the plug is positive and which is GND. Check with a multimeter before cutting it off.

...R