GSM board questions

Hi I was thinking of starting a new project that included the GSM board. Does the GSM board come with it's own arduino board or do I have to purchase them separately? Thanks

There are some integrated solutions, but the majority of GSM boards and all the most common ones -- including the Arduino GSM Shield -- are separate. http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoGSMShield

So the link you posted is one of the GSM Shields that comes with an Arduino Mega?

It comes on its own, you need an Arduino to be able to use it. And unless you have a very good reason not to, I would choose an Uno.

So it a GSM Shield is $88 and does not come with a board. You have to buy them separately right?

huggli: So it a GSM Shield is $88 and does not come with a board. You have to buy them separately right?

You might like to let some sanity revail before you come up with $88 by googling

ebay 281015256067

In all fairness the Arduino shield is a nice piece of kit and it is the shield that the GSM library is intended to work with. But as Nick says, there are alternatives available.

If you do go for an alternative, two things to consider:

1. Do you need a detachable/separate aerial?
  2. Can you configure which pins it uses to communicate with the Arduino?

dannable: If you do go for an alternative, two things to consider: 1) Do you need a detachable/separate aerial? 2) Can you configure which pins it uses to communicate with the Arduino?

3) what GSM module does it use, and is there good library support for that?

(3) is crossing folks up because the cheaper modules are based on the SIMCOM SIM900 versus the Quectel M10 in the GSM Shield and SENDTRUE SM5100B you'll find on some older models. They're all based on the ETSI standards, but there are implementation differences that make the support libraries frustratingly incompatible.

Sooo no?

too cryptic

huggli:
So it a GSM Shield is $88 and does not come with a board. You have to buy them separately right?

The Arduino GSM Shield is an add-on for an Arduino. You buy it as a separate part and it does not come with an Arduino. A suitable Arduino to use with the GSM Shield is an Arduino Uno.

http://store.arduino.cc/product/A000066

Hi I was thinking of starting a new project that included the GSM board.

With the high level questions, there is a good possibility the GSM shield will not actually do what you assume it will in your project.