GSM Library for SIM900 compatibility

Hello guys

I was wondering if some libraries are limited to certain types of microcontrollers? Like, would it be able to use a GSM/GPRS library with a SIM900 module on any chip with arduino bootloader? Or would they perhaps only work with atmega328, atmega168 or the likes, and not say Attiny85 ?

The reason I am asking is that I am building a very simple project, where a high input on one pin makes the chip send a pre-defined SMS or Email, and I think that an atmega328 is a bit overkill for such a project.

I was wondering if some libraries are limited to certain types of microcontrollers?

Yes. An Arduino library will be useless on a PIC.

Like, would it be able to use a GSM/GPRS library with a SIM900 module on any chip with arduino bootloader?

Depends on which library. The real issue is "Is the library compatible with the hardware?". The GSM library that comes with the IDE is not meant to be used with any GSM except the one that Arduino makes and sells. That is not to say that it doesn't work with other GSM shields, but you would need to test it, AND deal with any changes needed to make it work yourself.

I think that an atmega328 is a bit overkill for such a project.

You are entitled to your opinion.

Thanks Paul I guess this is such a vague question, that I will have to wait till my SIM900 board arrives, and simply just test it out :/ Sucks though since It delays my project by atleast a week.

But thanks for answering.