GSM library problems

Hardware: UNO r3 connected via USB to PC
Arduino IDE: 1.8.8 (macOS)

Attempting to connect UNO to GSM modem using standard GSM library.

Trying to get Serial Monitor output to determine modem connectivity.

When gsmAccess.begin() is called output suspends. It doesn’t matter if I pass arguments or not. What I expect is for it at minimum to return 0 or ERROR. It doesn’t escape. No code after the call is executed. In the following example “debug1” will print but “debug2” will not.

Sample code would be:

#import <GSM.h>

GSM gsmAccess;

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
Serial.println(“debug1”)
Serial.println(gsmAccess.begin());
Serial.println(“debug2”)

I do get the following error during compiling which indicates to me that gsmAccess.begin “calls” another GSM class that has an issue. I don’t know if it matters as it states that it is ignored.

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries/GSM/src/GSM3ShieldV1BandManagement.h:49:125: warning: ‘typedef’ was ignored in this declaration
typedef enum GSM3GSMBand {UNDEFINED, EGSM_MODE, DCS_MODE, PCS_MODE, EGSM_DCS_MODE, GSM850_PCS_MODE, GSM850_EGSM_DCS_PCS_MODE};

I have tried using the absolute stock version of GSM SMS send example with no success.

My understanding is that this type of code should run regardless if a modem is connected or not.

My best guess is that their is some serial conflict when this command is called…?

Any thoughts? THANKS!
(I’m new to Arduino)

I forgot to add ; to the end of the print statements in the sample code. They are present in various versions of the code that do not run (ie. not causing the issue).

If the begin() call is made with no arguments, it defaults to ‘synchronous=true’. It will not return until the modem status is ‘ready’.

// If synchronous, wait till ModemConfiguration is over
	if(synchronous)
	{
		// if we shorten this delay, the command fails
		while(ready()==0) 
			delay(1000); 
	}