[GSoC 2020] Self introduction and request for help.

Hello Arduino Community,

It is my pleasure to be here. I am Ashutosh Pandey, one of the 2 students selected for Arduino's inaugral GSoC season. Link can be found here

My proposal is about creating a 'source to source compiler' (transpiler) to help with porting Arduino code to Micropython for the upcoming Portenta board. My proposal can be found here: GSoC Proposal

I had a few questions, pardon my if they are trivial, this is the first time I'm doing this.

1.) Apart from talking to my mentor (Alessandro Ranellucci), where do I go for asking questions and posting about my progress? My project is basically about the Arduino language reference, so where would be the right place to post about it? I thought of using the Arduino Developer's mailing list, but that doesn't seem to be the right place as what I am building won't be a part of the mainline IDE.

2.) My proposal represents my knowledge at the time of writing. I still have a month to go before the coding period officially starts (although I'd like to start sooner). If there's any suggestions, resources, changes that people with experience could suggest, I'd be grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Left a message for a GSoC moderator for you.

Please dont post too many details here as they may want to PM you.

Bob.

Thank you. Will definitely keep that in mind.

Welcome @ashutosh_pandey! Your proposal is very nice. I look forward to watching the progress of your project during the Summer of Code.

ballscrewbob: Please dont post too many details here as they may want to PM you.

Is this something secret?

Mind you there would be little point giving me the details, I'm sure it is all far beyond my pay grade.

...R

Nah Robin you were given an invite to take part a while back but you saw through my ruse and declined. :o

ballscrewbob:
Nah Robin you were given an invite to take part a while back but you saw through my ruse and declined. :o

I do recall that but your Reply #1 gives me the impression that you don’t want the OP to release details of what he is doing - hence my query about secrecy?

I have always assumed GSOC is for Open Source projects

…R

Robin2:
I have always assumed GSOC is for Open Source projects

…R

It is but why give away your game plan before the game is afoot ?

why give away your game plan before the game is afoot ?

Because feedback at earlier stages of a development project is easier to incorporate into a final product.

I’d say open up one or more threads in the “other software development” topic, carefully and recognizably labeled with descriptive subjects,and see how it goes.

Alternately, your github “issues” or “wiki” areas can be used for discussion as well...

westfw:
Because feedback at earlier stages of a development project is easier to incorporate into a final product.

I’d say open up one or more threads in the “other software development” topic, carefully and recognizably labeled with descriptive subjects,and see how it goes.

Thank you for that suggestion! Once I hear back from my mentor I’ll update this thread with where I’ll be updating my progress.

Hello,

My mentors have responded and instructed me to create a thread:

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=685221.msg4608673#msg4608673

I'll be posting updates there as I work on the project.

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Ashutosh.

ashutosh_pandey: My mentors have responded and instructed me to create a thread:

I think you should click Report to Moderator and ask for this to be merged with your Thread in the "Other Software Development" section to avoid people commenting in both Threads.

Alternatively, ask to have this Thread locked.

...R