GT-511C1R Fingerprint scanner library help

Hi all, I’m new here so if I do anything that isn’t in keeping with the ‘rules’ then please let me know!

I have a fingerprint scanner (GT-511C1R), and have been trying to get a fingerprint uploaded onto the scanner as a start to a project i’m completing.

I added a library downloaded from Github (see attached). This worked for a short amount of time, and I had everything working seemingly okay by using the serial monitor. I followed instructions posted here:

that was just to get the FPS working.

I reopened the fingerprint enrollment sketch (taken from the above website), and all of a sudden, everything stopped working. The FPS was still receiving power and nothing had been changed but the sketch wasn’t uploading properly. I then realised I had this error:

In file included from /Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/sketch_may02a/sketch_may02a.ino:1:0:
/Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FPS_GT511C3/FPS_GT511C3.h:12:21: warning: extra tokens at end of #include directive
#include “Arduino.h”;
^
/Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FPS_GT511C3/FPS_GT511C3.h:13:28: warning: extra tokens at end of #include directive
#include “SoftwareSerial.h”;
^
/Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FPS_GT511C3/FPS_GT511C3.cpp:9:25: warning: extra tokens at end of #include directive
#include “FPS_GT511C3.h”;
^
In file included from /Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FPS_GT511C3/FPS_GT511C3.cpp:9:0:
/Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FPS_GT511C3/FPS_GT511C3.h:12:21: warning: extra tokens at end of #include directive
#include “Arduino.h”;
^
In file included from /Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FPS_GT511C3/FPS_GT511C3.cpp:9:0:
/Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FPS_GT511C3/FPS_GT511C3.h:13:28: warning: extra tokens at end of #include directive
#include “SoftwareSerial.h”;
^
/Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FPS_GT511C3/FPS_GT511C3.cpp: In constructor ‘Response_Packet::Response_Packet(byte*, bool)’:
/Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FPS_GT511C3/FPS_GT511C3.cpp:89:108: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
CheckParsing(buffer[0], COMMAND_START_CODE_1, COMMAND_START_CODE_1, “COMMAND_START_CODE_1”, UseSerialDebug);
^
/Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FPS_GT511C3/FPS_GT511C3.cpp:90:108: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
CheckParsing(buffer[1], COMMAND_START_CODE_2, COMMAND_START_CODE_2, “COMMAND_START_CODE_2”, UseSerialDebug);
^
/Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FPS_GT511C3/FPS_GT511C3.cpp:91:105: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
CheckParsing(buffer[2], COMMAND_DEVICE_ID_1, COMMAND_DEVICE_ID_1, “COMMAND_DEVICE_ID_1”, UseSerialDebug);
^
/Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FPS_GT511C3/FPS_GT511C3.cpp:92:105: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
CheckParsing(buffer[3], COMMAND_DEVICE_ID_2, COMMAND_DEVICE_ID_2, “COMMAND_DEVICE_ID_2”, UseSerialDebug);
^
/Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FPS_GT511C3/FPS_GT511C3.cpp:93:66: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
CheckParsing(buffer[8], 0x30, 0x31, “AckNak_LOW”, UseSerialDebug);
^
/Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FPS_GT511C3/FPS_GT511C3.cpp:95:67: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
CheckParsing(buffer[9], 0x00, 0x00, “AckNak_HIGH”, UseSerialDebug);
^
/Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FPS_GT511C3/FPS_GT511C3.cpp:100:85: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
CheckParsing(buffer[10], checksum_low, checksum_low, “Checksum_LOW”, UseSerialDebug);
^
/Users/cameronwartnaby/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FPS_GT511C3/FPS_GT511C3.cpp:101:88: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’ [-Wwrite-strings]
CheckParsing(buffer[11], checksum_high, checksum_high, “Checksum_HIGH”, UseSerialDebug);
^
Sketch uses 1304 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 184 bytes (8%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1864 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

I guess this is an issue with the library? Does anyone know how a library can seemingly work one minute and then not the next? Any help would be massively appreciated! Thanks

FPS_GT511C1R.zip (17.9 KB)

#include "FPS_GT511C3.h";

; == extra token

Sorry, I might sound like a complete idiot but I don't understand what you mean?

#include "FPS_GT511C3.h";There's a semicolon at the end of that line. There is no need for a semicolon at the end of that line, and the compiler told you that.

Ahh okay, thank you very much. I've managed to get rid of a few of the errors now. Not all of them, but I'll work through it eventually.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea why these files would just change/stop working? I definitely hadn't changed anything in the library because I hadn't even opened the zip files before your replies so I can't have changed them ::)

Those are just warnings. You can safely ignore them. They are not the cause of your problem. The sketch compiled successfully.

cam2410: Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea why these files would just change/stop working?

They did neither of those things. The code has been that way (sloppy programmer). My guess is you turned on warnings (File > Preferences > Compiler warnings), which are off by default.