Guidance for beginner project

Hi all,

I would like advice on how best link an arduino device wirelessly to an android smart phone. I have looked into the possibility of using an arduino mega ADK combined with a wireless sd shield and xbee module however this appears to be a slightly expensive option and I'm unsure if the shield and ADK board are compatible? As an alternative could a arduino yun be used as it has the integrated wireless functionality?

Thanks in advance

Do you have to use wi-fi or would bluetooth be suitable? The range of bluetooth is not as high as wi-fi but they are cheap

I would prefer to use WiFi so that I could make use of the increased range, but if bluetooth would be simpler to implement I could use it instead.

The wireless/Sd shield also accepts a WiFly (Google) module same pinout as the xbee but gives WiFi.

Mark

My apologies for the delay in replying, does that mean that the wireless sd shield is compatible with the adk board?

For the xbee/wifly the pins are 0 and 1 for serial to the module and power and ground so it should be. There may be issues with the Sd card part but you not using so...

Mark

SuspectRogue:
I would prefer to use WiFi so that I could make use of the increased range, but if bluetooth would be simpler to implement I could use it instead.

Not so much simpler as cheaper. :wink: