guidance on Feasibility

Hi, I'm a n00b in the arduino community, I have a project I want to start. I want to control my gaming cafe televisions power using arduino and a 16 channel 5v relay. The control has to be time based . I'll also need to know if it's possible to have a Windows application that has buttons I can input the time values on, like 30mins, 1hr,and always On/off etc. I want it to have a log aswell. I'll be using this relay board

http://www.diyelectronics.co.za/store/electro-mechanical-relays/349-16-channel-5v-relay-module-10amp.html

The Arduino does not have built in clock but there are various Real Time Clocks that you can add very cheaply. There is no reason the Arduino cannot turn the power on and off to the televisions using the relay module you suggested, on a time basis, and it could keep a log on an SD card.

However rather than pulling back upto sixteen power cables to the relay module it might be worth considering having a relay at each television with one communications cable running around them or perhaps a wireless connection. I have not searched for them but there are bound to be products around that you could drive from an Arduino. You should work out roughly the length of cable run required.

You have also muddied the water a bit by mentioning Windows. The Arduino does not have any operating system and certainly not Windows. If you want/need Windows then you might be better controlling the TVs from the Windows machine.

Another possibility is to have the Arduino permanently connected to the Windows PC and allow the PC to do the timing. It would just send a message to the Arduino at intervals telling it which relay should on or off.

...R

thank ,you for the support ,you are right ,running 16 cables will be clumsy ,i will look around for the wireless ones about the windows application i meant a program that you can input values on, which will then send commands to arduino telling it when to close/open ,how long to open a specified relay(s) .The arduino will be connected permanently to the windows PC then it does its witchcraft

How far apart are the TVs? If they are reasonably close together I would not rule out running wires back to the relays.

If you use a wireless system you will need some sort of Arduino (maybe a Nano) at each PC. The nRF24L01+ wireless modules are cheap and work well. This Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial may be of interest.

Another option would be to set up a small web server on your PC and use ESP8266 modules to communicate with it using WiFi. The ESP8266 modules have WiFi and a microprocessor all in one package and can be programmed using the Arduino IDE. However if you are not familiar with web programming the nRF24s might be easier to use.

...R

TVs stretch up to 10m from the windows PC i want to control everything from ,i will definately hit the cable clutter snag,anyway ive decided to go wireless

mgcn: TVs stretch up to 10m from the windows PC i want to control everything from ,i will definately hit the cable clutter snag,anyway ive decided to go wireless

If the control is going to be wireless then why not do it directly from the PC?

It sounds like you need a wireless power tail.

Do not know of any but a look at the home automation products may help. These are generally available as approved plug in devices that do not require an electrician to install.

Switching the power to a PC though will mean they have to boot up each time, are there no other software products designed for this ?

ardly: If the control is going to be wireless then why not do it directly from the PC?

That is exactly what we are trying to do. Also we need to control the system i.e the time to shutdown via a gui application.

Boardburner2: It sounds like you need a wireless power tail.

Do not know of any but a look at the home automation products may help. These are generally available as approved plug in devices that do not require an electrician to install.

Switching the power to a PC though will mean they have to boot up each time, are there no other software products designed for this ?

The arcade is running consoles not pcs hence there is no software that we can implement to control time, this is why we need to switch of the Tvs instead so that the consoles wont have to reboot every single time.

After some time reading i have decided to use the linksprite Linknode R4 ,two of them .I'll need assistance in code making a GUI