Guidance on robot platform buy!

Hello arduino folks! I've just started with a SLAM robot project and it's time for me to buy a robot platform, because Arduino and all this electronics is quite new to me I need some advice on what I should buy. I got an arduino Uno right now with two Digital pins hooked up. I have two options, 1. I'll buy the rover 5 robot platform with 2 motors and 2 encoders(http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/1571) and the recommended motor controller (http://robosavvy.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/1573). This motor controller seems a litle bit more difficult to hook up than the one in my other option

1. I stick with the rover 5 robot platform but buy the arduino motor shield instead (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoMotorShieldR3) which seems a litle easier to handle. on the other hand I don't know if it has enough pins to be able to connect both motors and their encoders?

so which choice do you think seems the best and why? thanks for your help and advice! //Archelon

on the other hand I don't know if it has enough pins to be able to connect both motors and their encoders?

You only need two pins to control a motor using a shield - direction and speed. You only need two pins to read an encoder. So, 4 pins per motor, for a total of 8 pins. The Uno has plenty of pins.

What it does not have is anywhere near enough memory for any kind of SLAM map.

PaulS:

on the other hand I don't know if it has enough pins to be able to connect both motors and their encoders?

You only need two pins to control a motor using a shield - direction and speed. You only need two pins to read an encoder. So, 4 pins per motor, for a total of 8 pins. The Uno has plenty of pins.

What it does not have is anywhere near enough memory for any kind of SLAM map.

Okay, unless you want to read the current right? So may be I should go for the first option with the recommended motor controller and later on go for somekind of SD-card shield on the arduino to save all the mapping data gathered by my sensor/s?

another dumb question, on that recommended motorcontroller I was talking about there are only two pins for the motor output, which are the corresponding pins on the arduino motorshield? thanks man ;)

another dumb question, on that recommended motorcontroller I was talking about there are only two pins for the motor output, which are the corresponding pins on the arduino motorshield?

Since the motor controller is not a shield, you can connect the direction and speed pins for each motor to whatever Arduino pins you like. It's best if the speed pins are connected to pins that support PWM.

I don't know why you would be considering a motor controller AND a motor shield. They support the same functionality.

PaulS:

another dumb question, on that recommended motorcontroller I was talking about there are only two pins for the motor output, which are the corresponding pins on the arduino motorshield?

Since the motor controller is not a shield, you can connect the direction and speed pins for each motor to whatever Arduino pins you like. It's best if the speed pins are connected to pins that support PWM.

I don't know why you would be considering a motor controller AND a motor shield. They support the same functionality.

okay, well I think you misunderstand me, I will buy the motor shield OR the motorcontroller :) Right now I think I will go for the motorcontroller to be able to buy some other kind of shield for the arduino later :)