Guidance on what to buy. Stepper motors and Python

Hello,

I just got my first Arduino today, and I also bought an Adafruit v2 motor shield with 2 stepper motors. As it turns out, there is no way to control these steppers with this driver under Python (without coding it all myself of course)

So my question is, if I need to drive 4 separate stepper motors using Python and Arduino, what shield/breakout board/driver do I buy?

Thank you.

What stepper motors did you buy (link)?

Were you expecting some off-the-shelf Python program to control the motors? If so what is it?

...R

Chagrin:
What stepper motors did you buy (link)?

2 of these

Robin2:
Were you expecting some off-the-shelf Python program to control the motors? If so what is it?

…R

I was hoping there would be a framework in place, but I’m realizing its a little more complicated than that.

For instance, I looked at this page before buying and thought that I could use it with my stuff, but it didnt work.

http://jdreyer.com/projects/Arduino/StepperMotor.php

It does seem that the Adafruit board takes a very different input from the usual stepper driver boards which seem to be used in the Python website you linked to. An obvious option is to buy a suitable stepper driver board and keep the Adafruit board for a future project.

It's probably not that hard to amend the Arduino code to use the Adafruit board. There is probably example software available.

I think if you study the Python and Arduino code from the website you linked to that you will find that the Python code is largely independent of what the Arduino is connected to. In other words, you could probably amend the Arduino code to work with the Adafruit driver without needing to change the Python code.

I have no experience of the Adafruit board. I have been using Pololu A4988 stepper drivers (which seem similar to the one on your Python link) and they are easy to control.

...R