Guidance wanted for first robotic project...

Hello everyone on the forum!

I'm now starting out my "career" in robotics, and I want to get some tutoring and guidance in setting up my first project, which is going to be an eye that follows my eyes; alternatively an icon/sticker/dot I place between my eyes (or somewhere else for that matter...lol). That's all I want to do for now.

Can anyone tell me what I will need to buy to do this, and help me with the coding (and explain the code; I want to learn, not copy and paste)?

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to get some guidance/tutoring :blush:

Regards from Norway Frode

Video image processing is too much for the Arduino. It has neither the memory or the speed to handle it.

If you're curious about image recognition you might want to look into OpenCV.

Thank you for answering.

I am currently looking into OpenCV but without getting any wiser. But can you tell me what microcontroller I should go for? Would I be better off with a 32bit controller? Any suggestions is welcome :)

Regards Frode

You might look at the microcontrollers used in IP and network cams. These apparently have a lot of power to do image processing, motion detection, and network activity.

I am a newbie with arduino/electronics. I agree the arduino is not up to image processing but it might be able to track something stuck on your forehead. I am sure it could track an LED, and it might also be able to track a sticker. Lets say the the sticker reflected IR and the arduino had an IR source perhaps it could follow the IR reflected off the sticker. Obviously this is only going to work if there is line of sight to the sticker.

Since you started by talking about tracking eyes this is probably not really going along the right lines.

radman: I am a newbie with arduino/electronics. I agree the arduino is not up to image processing but it might be able to track something stuck on your forehead. I am sure it could track an LED, and it might also be able to track a sticker. Lets say the the sticker reflected IR and the arduino had an IR source perhaps it could follow the IR reflected off the sticker. Obviously this is only going to work if there is line of sight to the sticker.

Since you started by talking about tracking eyes this is probably not really going along the right lines.

I've been thinking about the same thing; an LED/IR to 'guide' the eyes, but it's kinda 'cheating', I think. I've been looking into OpenCV and it seems that other people have gotten it to work with Arduino. Maybe I'll go with that.

Still, on my search for good tuts on how to program the microcontroller, I only find copy and paste- stuff. Nothing that can teach me HOW the coding works....anyone can 'learn' by copying and pasting ready-to-go code.

What it boils down to, is the coding; if I could learn that, I could do this myself (with a lot of head-scratching and cursing). Anyone know how to really LEARN coding?

I've been looking into OpenCV and it seems that other people have gotten it to work with Arduino

Working with certainly, but the OpenCV is running on a much more powerful host, just using the Arduino to control things like servos.

Anyone know how to really LEARN coding?

I think that depends on your background and mentality (and how concerned you are about hair-loss and sleep-deprivation). Start with the cut-and-paste stuff, then try to tinker with and modify the code. And if you can start about thirty years ago, that helps too.

I think that depends on your background and mentality (and how concerned you are about hair-loss and sleep-deprivation).

My background is a big zero. I know some PHP. My mentality is that I get pi$$ed off when there's something I can't do and I'm stubborn as 20 donkeys. Hair loss? Well, I'm reaching 40 so the baldness is allready there. Sleep is for young people that have all the time in the world.

And if you can start about thirty years ago, that helps too.

Too late. And also; when I was 10, robots wasn't something for the regular Joe. But I learn fast, so I think I could reach my goal before turning 60 if I rush it up a little.

So maybe I should consider a 32 bit controller and/or throw in a Mini ITX? And just maybe...MAYBE...things are getting too complicated for a 40 year old 'virgin' in robotics...

Should I rather start playing World Of Warcraft and wait for death?

Programming isn't that hard. Image tracking of an eye is a sophisticated project though. The Ladyada tutorials are good for explaining code to beginners. http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/index.html You would be proficient in 2-3 days. I've read some on image tracking: http://www.societyofrobots.com/programming_robot.shtml All of those links are pretty advanced. You could buy a couple of distance sensors for $10 apiece, and use those to control a $10 servo so that the eye will follow people walking by.

Thank you, Big Oil...those sites looked good. I will definitely have a closer look at them :)