guidance with humidity testing device (PAYING GIG)

Hi there!

I've been working on a project that will read the humidity of plant matter for safe storage. I am now at the point where I need to write the code and operations for the device. This is where I'm way over my head and need the help of a true coder. I am willing to compensate someone for their time. I don't know if this forum is the place to ask for help in this way but I wasn't really sure where else to go. If anyone can point me to a better site to look for help let me know.

-Thanks Taylor

taylorjclarke:
I don't know if this forum is the place to ask for help in this way but I wasn't really sure where else to go.

There is a "Gigs and Collaborations" forum but don't repost your request. A moderator will likely move this post (I'll send them a note).

There's a bunch of us how take on these sorts of jobs. It would help if you gave more information about what you want done.

You want to monitor humidity of plant matter. Is this in one location? Is the humidity displayed, sent, recorded?

What sort of gizmo do you envision this will require?

How precise does the humidity and temperature information need to be?

ok, so this is the jist of what I'm trying to do. Let me know if it sounds like something that can be done and if so for how much.

1. Button is depressed three times in a 5 second time span to turn machine on
  2. LED and LCD turn on to show that the device is on
  3. Button is depressed again when biomass chamber is filled to start the test
  4. LED pulses while the test is taking place and LCD will display a loading graphic
  5. Relay kicks on to give power to the heating coil
  6. Sensor gathers data till a max temperature of 200° has been reached
  7. Data is then averaged and displayed on LCD
  8. Button is held down for 3 seconds and the device powers down

I'll post a schematic soon.

DuaneDegn:
A moderator will likely move this post (I'll send them a note).

Thank you.

Thread moved.

thanks for the move. If anyone wants to through a bid my way so I can get a ball park on this thing that would be awesome.

taylorjclarke:
ok, so this is the jist of what I’m trying to do. Let me know if it sounds like something that can be done and if so for how much.

1. Button is depressed three times in a 5 second time span to turn machine on
  2. LED and LCD turn on to show that the device is on
  3. Button is depressed again when biomass chamber is filled to start the test
  4. LED pulses while the test is taking place and LCD will display a loading graphic
  5. Relay kicks on to give power to the heating coil
  6. Sensor gathers data till a max temperature of 200° has been reached
  7. Data is then averaged and displayed on LCD
  8. Button is held down for 3 seconds and the device powers down

I’ll post a schematic soon.

I suppose a schematic will answer some questions but there’s still a lot of details which are unclear.

If you want the microcontroller monitor button presses to know when to “turn on” it will always need to be powered. This isn’t a big deal since a lot of microcontrollers don’t require much power but a hardwired on off switch would save the small amount of power required to standby for input.

Is the heating coil going to be on the whole time? Do you need any sort of control over the rate the chamber heats up?

What sort of LCD do you have in mind? What sort of “graphic”.

What sensors are being used? How many samples are being averaged?

Does this need to be done with an Arduino? Are other microcontrollers acceptable?

If you want the microcontroller monitor button presses to know when to "turn on" it will always need to be powered.

Not necessarily - 1st press could wake it from power down sleep mode, it monitors for 2 more in allotted time, if not received it goes back to sleep.

CrossRoads:
Not necessarily - 1st press could wake it from power down sleep mode, it monitors for 2 more in allotted time, if not received it goes back to sleep.

I agree it wouldn't take much power (I thought I said that) but having the microcontroller always on (even when asleep) is a slight complication. If you're using a commercially made board and you want to minimize power consumption, you may need to disconnect the power LED. Generally if the device is plugged into an outlet for power then a LED being constantly on isn't a big deal.

Hello Taylor:
I sent you a PM so we can discuss in more detail. Not a difficult request, I can build this easily.