Guidance with Programming a Robot platform

What should I buy to accomplish the following:

Using a 6 wheel robotic platform to stop every 4 inches for 1 second and move again another 4 inches and stop for 1 second. Perhaps 50+ repeats.

Platform then moves sideways for 2 to 4 feet and begins the stop and go process again.

Thank you for your help.

I think you will need to buy a six wheel robotic platform - unless you already have one.

PeterH: I think you will need to buy a six wheel robotic platform - unless you already have one.

Perhaps one of an appropriate size for your application.

Yes, a 6 wheel robotic platform is what I prefer to use.

The programming to have this autonomously go through the motions of forward 4 inches, stop, forward again, stop, etc.

So, what’s your question? The subject line and your first post seem to be asking completely different questions.

If you’re asking what you need to buy, the answer is you need to buy the robot you have chosen.

If you’re asking how to program it then I suggest you start with the examples for the robot you have chosen.

Platform then moves sideways for 2 to 4 feet and begins the stop and go process again

That adds some extra difficulty, but the below bot might give you some ideas.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FGWKwIIKVM

Thank you PeterH.

I may not have been clear. Which Arduino products are best suited for the following applications:

Robust outdoor environment.

Unskilled workers present (needs to be very user friendly and simple)

The robotic base total weight loaded, 150 pounds, powered by thinking 6 X 42mm and steel gear boxes. No preference for rubber or track drive....... Operating speed all stop/start, move 4 inches then stop for 1 second, repeat 400 times, then move at a 90 degree angle 4 feet. This operation would repeat 100 times.

So basically, a robotic base that will run in an exact straight line stopping hundreds of times for one second intervals.

P.S. The very slow speed the robot operates at, and the weight of the unit, have me asking this question: is a dual speed option available?

TIA

Zoomcat, I went over to the site listed on your video but cannot sigh up (can't figure out the answers to those questions!!).

What sort of environment is this thing going to be working in? (I mean indoors/outdoors, how smooth is the surface, are there any obstacles or irregularities to be coped with - that sort of thing.)

How big or small does the 'bot need to be, and does it need to carry anything?

You're talking about quite a long sequence of movements. How accurately do you want the absolute position to be controlled during this process?

All of the arduino products will basically be the same for this, you just need to figure out all of your inputs and outputs, in which case you might have to bump up to the Mega. The robot platform will be what changes. As for what platform, I'm not sure we can answer the question, especially without some very specific details, IE exactly what is it doing? You say it stops for 1s every 4inches. Does it need to perform some action in this time? Or is the user going to then need to perform some action and then do something to nudge it along? Is it carrying a load and if so how large and heavy? The task itself sounds straightforward , but will probably require stepper motors, probably with encoders built in, to give you precision and feedback, as well as some form of interface.

As for the interface, that will depend on your budget. Rugged outdoors industrial-ish use will require extra money, and finding a premade module might be worth it. Arduino can be used to make an interface (you just need to decide on buttons, LCD, touch screen, etc), but then ruggedizing it is another task, and you have to decide how it interfaces.

For example, you could be building a robot who squirts a dot of paint every 4" in a straight line, in which case you'd need it to be able to carry and squirt the paint. Or it could be a robot that just measures out the distance, in which case the robot could be a foot long and made of cheap plastic.

We need more information and specifically what you are looking for to be able to answer any questions.

Yes, that is a good understanding.

Robust outdoor environment. Unskilled workers present (needs to be very user friendly and simple) The robotic base total weight loaded, 150 pounds, powered by (thinking) 6 X 42mm and steel gear boxes. No preference for rubber or track drive....... Operating speed all stop/start, move 4 inches then stop for 1 second, repeat 400 times, then move at a 90 degree angle 4 feet. This operation would repeat 100's of times. So basically, a robotic base that will run in an exact straight line stopping hundreds of times for one second intervals.

P.S. The very slow speed the robot operates at, and the weight of the unit, have me asking this question: is a dual speed option available?