Guide me for buying the Ethernet shield

HI,

i want to transfer the webpage from the ethernet shiled to laptop through wifi router. Please help in choosing the ethernet shield(what is the PoE module) and choosing the right wifi router for it which can work in infra mode that can be connected to android mobiles too.

Well I can help you with at least a bit… PoE stands for “Power over Ethernet”. In other words, it allows the shield and Arduino to get power from the ethernet cable so they don’t need a dedicated power supply or battery.

If by “infra mode”, you mean using infrared transcievers for wireless communication; I’m not aware of any Ethernet Shields that incorporate that feature. However, you should be able to add that functionality to your device using either an additional shield or custom circuitry.

Also just a general piece of advice, in the future please don’t type the thread title in all capital letters. It can be considered rude.

jonyjakee: HI,

i want to transfer the webpage from the ethernet shiled to laptop through wifi router. Please help in choosing the ethernet shield(what is the PoE module) and choosing the right wifi router for it which can work in infra mode that can be connected to android mobiles too.

Hello,

you want to run a webserver on your arduino, which you can access from your laptop in your wifi, do you?

Do you already got wifi at home? -> If not you'll have to buy a wifi router. Almost every wifi router should support infrastructre mode. Ask your internet provider for a compatible router.

Will your arduino be located close to a LAN-outlet? -> If so, you can use the regular Ethernet-Shield and connect it to the outlet by a patch-cable. -> If not, you will have to buy a WiFly-Shield. (It connects with your router just like your Laptop or smartphone does) Instead of buying a WiFly-Shield you could also use an Ethernet-Shield and a Wifi-Bridge (e.g. Netgear WNCE2001 ~ $20)

What kind of project are you building?

Far-seeker: Also just a general piece of advice, in the future please don't type the thread title in all capital letters. It can be considered rude.

Thanks for ur adivce. and im sorry for that.

hai,

kduin: you want to run a webserver on your arduino, which you can access from your laptop in your wifi, do you?

yes, you are right.

-> If not, you will have to buy a WiFly-Shield. (It connects with your router just like your Laptop or smartphone does)

i am already using wifly-shiled v2.0. My shiled doesnt works in infrastructure mode. i couldnt diagonise the problem. so i shifted to eternetshiled and wifi router. If you can please help me to work my wifly shield work in infrastructure mode.

What kind of project are you building?

Home appliances control using android mobile.

here is the sample prog that works in adhoc mode.

#include <WiServer.h>
#include <string.h>
#define WIRELESS_MODE_INFRA 1
#define WIRELESS_MODE_ADHOC 2

// Methods ------------------------------------------------------------------
unsigned char local_ip = {192,168,43,9}; // IP address of WiShield
unsigned char gateway_ip = {192,168,43,1}; // router or gateway IP address
unsigned char subnet_mask = {255,255,255,0}; // subnet mask for the local network
const prog_char ssid PROGMEM = {“jonh WIFI”}; // max 32 bytes
int ON, OFF;
unsigned char security_type = 0; // 0 - open; 1 - WEP; 2 - WPA; 3 - WPA2
// WPA/WPA2 passphrase
const prog_char security_passphrase PROGMEM = {“12345678”}; // max 64 characters
// WEP 128-bit keys
// sample HEX keys
prog_uchar wep_keys PROGMEM = { 0x01, 0x02, 0x03, 0x04, 0x05, 0x06, 0x07, 0x08, 0x09, 0x0a, 0x0b, 0x0c, 0x0d, // Key 0
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, // Key 1
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, // Key 2
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 // Key 3
};
// setup the wireless mode
// infrastructure - connect to AP
// adhoc - connect to another WiFi device

unsigned char wireless_mode = WIRELESS_MODE_ADHOC;

unsigned char ssid_len;
unsigned char security_passphrase_len;

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------

void setup() {
// Initialize WiServer and have it use the sendPage function to serve pages
Serial.begin(115200);
WiServer.init(sendPage);

}

boolean sendPage(char* URL) {

WiServer.print(“HOME APPLIANCES CONTROL”);
return true;
}

void loop(){

WiServer.server_task();

}

my wishield doesnt turns ON when i change code to infra mode as below.

unsigned char wireless_mode = WIRELESS_MODE_ADHOC;

Where i am wrong please help. Or please help me in connecting this program to Ethernet shiled and router.

hello, Please help me.