Guitar Hack

Hey
Not sure if this is the right board, but here it goes:
I found an old acoustic guitar and I had the idea to turn it into a MIDI instrument. I attached wires to a bit on every tuning peg (which i checked to make sure were continuous with the individual strings) as well as on each of the frets on the guitar. They really work as switches on their own (at least according to a continuity tester), I'm just wondering how I should approach wiring it all up so I can determine the pressed fret/string with the Arduino.
I was thinking about either applying a different voltage to every string using resistors and picking them up off the frets, or putting resistors between every fret and sensing from the strings. What are your thoughts?

Agreed: this won't work in parallel.
But:
What if, rather then always having 5v going through all the frets/all the strings, the voltage was applied by multiplexing and each string was powered up in series?

The fact that there are no successful implementations speaks for itself

You could say that about literally everything that will ever exist.

could you successively 'turn on' each string in turn, ie apply voltage to one after another? When a fret goes high, you know which string is being fretted and you can just assume it's high until the next time around. Of course, you'd have to cycle very fast to get a good response time.

The problem is that the strings also touch all the frets higher up the neck as well as the fretted one. This causes strings to short out if you have two or more fretted strings. You won’t be able to tell what fret it is being pressed down on.

What if you run 5v through every string in sequence? Multiple frets would be shorted but only one will have 5v going through it

hmm. Well, you could just account for that in software and look for the fret that is closest to the body that is still high, right?

A non-software approach would be to make the bridge, I think it's called, further from the fretboard. Like the little strip that the strings are resting on next to the tuning knobs could be raised up from the fretboard and so it would only hit the one fret you're currently pressing down on. This might make it hard to play though, especially the lower notes.