Guitar String tuner

Hi All,

I was wondering if i could have your advice, I am currently doing a project in which i plug my electric guitar into an arduino (after amplifying to 5v).

What ways can a measure the frequency from the analogread? and how do you think i should approach this?

I have already had success in converting the signal to a square wave and measuring the frequency with the digital read, however this method does not allow me to apply filters such as low and high pass in the code of the arduino.

So ideally, i need a circuit that amplifies the guitar signal to 5V, then the arduino to measure the frequency from the analog input. I have already researched code like this however i do not understand it as it seems very complex to me.

Thanks in advance!

A hackable approach that springs to mind:

Tuners that I've worked with in the past had 3 LED's that displayed Hi/correct/low when a string was plucked. Take one of those apart and patch the LED's into the Arduino, then have those inputs determine the direction the stepper motor turns the knob.

Or have I misinterpreted your project and you're not autotuning your guitar, but building the tuner I told you to hack?

Guiter Center has many tuners - many work from vibration only, and do not even listen to the sound from the strings. Others you actually plug your instrument into. I have both types. I recently purchased an acoustic guitar that had a chromatic tuner built in.

I can appreciate wanting to make your own, but it hardly seems worth it for this application when $12-15 tuners are so readily available.