Guitar toggle switch Audio Pop

Hi all,

I am building a toggle switch for guitar pickup using an arduino. I have everything working using a relay to switch the pickup output on/off. This produces an audio pop, I understand there are ways round this using capacitors, and resistors, but I don't understand how to wire this up, and what value capacitors and resistors I need.

Can anyone help with any wiring diagrams and component values?

Many thanks.

If this is the "classic" problem of DC voltage on the input, put a put a capacitor in series between the guitar input and the amplifier (or Arduino, or whatever) 0.1uF should be OK depending on the impedance of the circuit. That will block the any DC. Then add a resistor between the pickup-output and ground. That keeps the input from floating-up when nothing is connected. 1M is about right for a guitar.

Thanks, I'll give that a try :slight_smile:

Could you sketch out a quick wiring diagram of what you have so far?

Z

leeallan77:
Hi all,

I am building a toggle switch for guitar pickup using an arduino. I have everything working using a relay to switch the pickup output on/off. This produces an audio pop, I understand there are ways round this using capacitors, and resistors, but I don't understand how to wire this up, and what value capacitors and resistors I need.

Can anyone help with any wiring diagrams and component values?

Many thanks.

Is the audio "pop" happening when the relay is opening or closing (or both)? There may be ways around this but the idea is to eliminate the voltage across the relay when it closes and to make sure there's no current flowing through the relay when it opens. Can you post a sketch of what your current circuit schematic?

-Chris