Gunfire alert

Hi guys

Noob here.

I'd like to ask if anyone can point me in the right direction please.

I stay on a farm and we have terrible problems with poachers at night. I need some advice on setting up a gunfire recognition alert that will sms me if it picks up a gunshot. It doesn't have to triangulate or anything as I can setup the gsm sms alert to tell me which unit was activated. Many thanks. I'm not sure how to filter out other noises, but hopefully someone here will be able to assist.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You'll always have a chance of false positives, especially when you don't know what kind of gun a poacher may use. Check the clapper setups like this one. http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Clap-Sensitive-Light-Control-The-Clapper/

Depending on the size of your farm, you might need more than one sensor.

Thanks Shpaget

We have rangers, drones, scout helicopters etc but all useless if they are not in the area where the animals are poached. I understand that false alarms will always be an issue and thunder will also be picked up. Would like to get something that will notify us when it registers sound louder than 100decibels (maybe it can be adjustable)

Thanks again.

Assuming this sound distance calculator is correct http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acoustic/isprob2.html then your 100db threshold will require sensors at 200m intervals - that's a lot of sensors for a farm sized property.

Commercial sensors use digital filtering to detect distinctive sounds at much lower levels.

We have a few watering holes were the animals come to drink, what happens is that I only need gunfire detectors in that area, so it’s not a very big area…maybe 100m radius. There are guys walking up to the rhino’s, shooting them at near point blank. a few sensors in those areas will not break the bank.

We have rangers, drones, scout helicopters etc

What are you farming? White rhinos?

Maybe you could look at securing the farm perimeter? The drones and helicopeters will be noisy and will make it harder to pick up gunshots

I understand that false alarms will always be an issue and thunder will also be picked up.

You could incorporate a lightning detector, so that you can disregard alarms that occur within a few seconds after the lightning is detected.

Good luck with your project.

It is a shame that when you detect the gunshot, it is likely to be too late for the rhino.

Thanks guys

I'm still scouring the internet to find something that will register only noise above 100 decibels, I'll look into lightening detector.

JohnLincoln: It is a shame that when you detect the gunshot, it is likely to be too late for the rhino.

You take one poacher out of the business you save many rhinos

Just a suggestion, but I assume you track the rhinos with satellite collars?

If you can make something small and light enough, couldn't you put a gunfire sensor on the rhinos collars? that way even when the rhino is away from the water hole, you could be alerted when the poachers strike?

Fulliautomatix:
Just a suggestion, but I assume you track the rhinos with satellite collars?

If you can make something small and light enough, couldn’t you put a gunfire sensor on the rhinos collars? that way even when the rhino is away from the water hole, you could be alerted when the poachers strike?

This has been tried, but to dart 400 rhinos every 6 months to change batteries in collars is a bit of a problem :wink:

Have you considered using "laser tripwire" or other movement detectors?

or FLIR like - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X92f6WH-qvg

mikb55: ... Commercial sensors use digital filtering to detect distinctive sounds at much lower levels. ...

+1

Commercial Gunfire alert sensors is available at market, but cost $$$.

sonnyyu:
+1

Commercial Gunfire alert sensors is available at market, but cost $$$.

Do you know where I can get these?

robtillaart: Have you considered using "laser tripwire" or other movement detectors?

or FLIR like - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X92f6WH-qvg

Unfortunately with live animals walking about there we cant respond to every alarm.

The reason Commercial Gunfire alert sensors cost a lot is no market demand at price killer market China. The Gun is illegal countrywide.

On other side security camera is flood at China.

60+ security cameras at road in China.

|500x353

|353x500

De Blasio, NYPD unveil $1.5M ShotSpotter system, detects gunshots via sensors around city and alerts police automatically

sonnyyu: |353x500

De Blasio, NYPD unveil $1.5M ShotSpotter system, detects gunshots via sensors around city and alerts police automatically

Had a look at the Shotspotter, but not an option in Southern Africa in the bush.

We already have drones, rangers and shout choppers....all of useless if we dont know where the shots are coming from.

Had a look at several different options but it looks like a sound detector linked to a gsm sms system will be the quickest solution.

the acoustical signature is more important that the sound level.

DoubleJ: Unfortunately with live animals walking about there we cant respond to every alarm.

The idea would be to connect such sensor to a raspberry PI and do image processing (open CV) to recognize people and animals apart - size of hot spot.