gw370 motor + TB6612FNG motor driver + 12V battery + UNO

i have a gw370 motor connected to a TB6612FNG motor driver, which is powered by a 12V battery. an arduino uno is connected via the 5V pin to the TB6612FNG motor driver to power the logic and the uno is powered by some separate AA batteries.

it doesn't work at all so wondering if i got the wrong parts together. the gw370 has a stall current of 1.3A and a rated current of 0.5 A. the TB6612FNG has an output of 1.2A and 3A max. as the motor is only being used for a light activity i figured is okay i measured it running too without the TB6612FNG and it was 0.4-5A. the TB6612FNG has a VM = 15V max.

the battery i thought would just be 12V as that is what it was sold as but i read on the side has a standby use 13.5 - 13.8V and a cycle use of 14.4-15V so i was wondering if this was too close to the upper limit of the motor driver. although i measured the battery by itself with a multimeter and it was 12.5V.

it's also possible i had the wrong wiring or code but i think less likely as i used several pre-existng examples although often i had to remove the code for the 2nd motor as i only have one and most examples had two. also possible is i didn't solder the TB6612FNG yet i just pushed the pins into a breadboard and connected the battery and uno through that, not sure if that's technically how you're supposed to do it.

the specs sheets are: TB6612FNG and GW370 motor

so in summary i was basically wondering if i have the right parts and if i have ruined the motor driver (TB6612FNG)?

15V is the absolute maximum rating (normal operation voltage should be no more than 13.5V) so as long as your voltage doesn't go over that you should be fine.

wvmarle: 15V is the absolute maximum rating (normal operation voltage should be no more than 13.5V) so as long as your voltage doesn't go over that you should be fine.

as the battery has a range of 13.5 -15V and you're saying it shouldn't go over 13.5 should i put a buck/stepdown convertor in between the motor driver and the battery to make sure the voltage is never too high?

also the stepdown convertor i have is a LM2596 apparently the max input is 40V for that so it is covered and it has an output load current of 3 amps but is that enough in terms of the handling the amps of the battery which has a max of 3.6A or is the amp draw of the motor the only thing that matters. thanks

Read the data sheet, and draw your conclusions.

As long as the power supply is no more than 15V and you keep the temperature at about 25°C you’re within the rating.