Gyroscope Performance / Accuracy

Hey there!

I have some questions regarding gyroscopes and how their performance is described in the datasheet.

First off, there are gyros which output an analos signal. E.g. with an scale factor of “k = 0.012 x Vdd/3 V/°/s” (ratiometric) for a +/-75°/s operation. I am not sure how to interpret that when for instance I want to know how much °/s will be displayed for a measured voltage.
As far as I understand it, it means that I multiply the output voltage by the given scale factor. With Vdd = 3.3V and an output voltage of 0.5V: k = 0.012 x 3.3/3 = 0,0132. So my measured °/s would be 0.0132 * 0.5V = 0,0066°/s.

Second, there are gyros with a digital interface. E.g. their scale factor (for a rate of +/-75°/s )is given as k = 96 LSB/°/s. Same here: How would I interpret it? My understanding is, that I have 96 steps for each degree per second, so my finest measurement resolution (not disregarding noise, etc.) would be +/-1/96 °/s or about +/-0.01 °/s.

Greetings
V.

The units seem all wrong.

Perhaps you mean V/(°/s) or Vs/° ? multiplication and division are left-associative so
you need the brackets (or to rearrange).

Anyway 0.0132 V/(°/s) means 1°/s gives 0.0132V, so 0.5V corresponds to 37.9°/s

basically voltage = k x angular velocity, so angular velocity = voltage / k

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.