h-bridge basics

Hi,

I have a few questions about the H-Bridge Motor Driver Shield described here HBRIDGE Motor Driver Shield Quickstart Guide | Freetronics

1. Why are there excess pins on the motor shield (more than available Arduino header slots)? Which ones do you not connect?

2. "Ensure jumpers are in place across the pairs of pins labelled Channel A and Channel B." How do you do this ? Motors will be plugged into A and B.

3. "Set the current limit to 0.6A, 1.2A, or 2A for each channel using the switches on the shield." How do you do that?

Thanks for your help,

Rob

robusto:
Hi,

I have a few questions about the H-Bridge Motor Driver Shield described here HBRIDGE Motor Driver Shield Quickstart Guide | Freetronics

1. Why are there excess pins on the motor shield (more than available Arduino header slots)? Which ones do you not connect?

Probably because some Arduinos (e.g. the Mega) have more header slots than yours does. Connect the ones that line up with the header sockets on your Arduino.

robusto:
2. "Ensure jumpers are in place across the pairs of pins labelled Channel A and Channel B." How do you do this ? Motors will be plugged into A and B.

It doesn't mean the output terminal blocks, it means the header pins just below the text "CHANNEL A" and "CHANNEL B" on the board. The board in that picture already has jumpers places across those pairs of header pins.

robusto:
6. "Set the current limit to 0.6A, 1.2A, or 2A for each channel using the switches on the shield." How do you do that?

In that picture, I can see two small slide switches, with text "2.0", "1.2" and "0.6" next to them. Just move the sliders down to the value you want.

Yes thanks. I did take a closer look at the board last night and figured these obvious things out.

On the question of pins, I still find it a little strange that the freetronics motor shield has excess pins than are needed to fit the freetronics arduino.
In fact, I am pretty sure I will have to snap off the leftmost analog pin for the shield to fit. It This is not labelled. Does it do anything?

Thanks again.

Actually, it is an unmarked power pin that needs removing for the shield to fit the Arduino (freetronics eleven).