Hack powerbank using data pins

Hey, so I have a new powerbank and I have noticed that pb that are a few years old with smart output only shut off if there are no current draw. However this new is different and I am thinking that it needs a signal to data pins, I have looked around and cannot find anybody with the same issue.

I am trying to power an arduino project where I solder + and- to an arduino and a device that draws 1.6A. Everything is working if I turn the owerbank on but after one minute it shuts off. Since I draw 1.6A I know that the standard smart output is not the case... So I wonder if someone knows how to get around this, and in best case make it to shut off when not any current is drawing from the battery.

It is likely to be something with the actual power bank you are looking at. So, why not tell us what you are looking at.
Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
It is likely to be something with the actual power bank you are looking at. So, why not tell us what you are looking at.
Paul

Well, as said before it is a powerbank 5v 2.1A that I power a project with (If using other powersuply it works fine). I have come to conclusion that I have to manipulate that when a button is pressed to the arduino the powerbank get signal to still be on. I know there are some get arounds if you have to little draw of current that the powerbank shuts off but in this case it is not and I want the autoshut off when the project is not running. I don't know what more info you want? :slight_smile:

maker-20_:
Well, as said before it is a powerbank 5v 2.1A that I power a project with (If using other powersuply it works fine). I have come to conclusion that I have to manipulate that when a button is pressed to the arduino the powerbank get signal to still be on. I know there are some get arounds if you have to little draw of current that the powerbank shuts off but in this case it is not and I want the autoshut off when the project is not running. I don't know what more info you want? :slight_smile:

Some technical information about your power bank just MIGHT answer your question.
Paul

Here is close up on the powerbank. 5V 2.1A output port on the USB port nearest the small inductor (the USB A), that is where I want to use the output. I have tryed to solder it ang I get it to work but it is shuting off, since I have current draw on 1.6A there is not that sensor system...

If I showed you a bunch of pictures of the amplifier I am fixing and asked you why it quit working, would you be able to answer?
Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
If I showed you a bunch of pictures of the amplifier I am fixing and asked you why it quit working, would you be able to answer?
Paul

Well I cannot really describe more than what I have, something more you want to know about it?

How about a datasheet of the thing?

Does the powerbank work properlyt charging a phone, when charging using a charging only cable (one that does not make your phone present itself to a computer when connected that way)?

wvmarle:
How about a datasheet of the thing?

Does the powerbank work properlyt charging a phone, when charging using a charging only cable (one that does not make your phone present itself to a computer when connected that way)?

Since it is a powerbank I do not have datasheet!
It is working while charging with a phone, Iphone lightning. I can see if I get it to power something with USB A to microUSB without datapins.

maker-20_:
Since it is a powerbank I do not have datasheet!

That’s not necessarily the case. I have been reading datasheets of powerbanks before.

It's the minimum draw requirement situation -- some work like this, some do not.
I made a replacement garage door remote control using one (that does) and a NodeMCU. I activate it, open/close the door and it then, conveniently, turns itself back off.

wvmarle:
That's not necessarily the case. I have been reading datasheets of powerbanks before.

I cannot find it, have been looking everywhere. The name and model is Luxor PRB-10000 mk2.

runaway_pancake:
It's the minimum draw requirement situation -- some work like this, some do not.
I made a replacement garage door remote control using one (that does) and a NodeMCU. I activate it, open/close the door and it then, conveniently, turns itself back off.

Yes, this is not the case since I am drawing 1.6 A from it!

I have one that wakes up whenI press the chrge status button which illuminates the four status leds. I can then use it to charge my phone and
when the phone is charged it goes back to sleep.

There are a number of charger types which allow the device to be charged (usually a smart phone) to negotiate a higher charging voltage using a special protocol.
It may be that your power bank, at least on some outputs, is expecting such an intelligent device.

Example: Quick Charge - Wikipedia

5V at 2.1 amps is not quick charge, that’s bog standard.

The OP has things backwards. That device Is probably the old Apple standard where the powerbank outputs a voltage on the data pins that signals what current can be dawn from the supply. Easy to confirm by measuring D+ and D- to GND and comparing details to the link below.

Hm, After cutting a charging cable I see that it DOES NOT use any datapins at all… So what can it be when I am drawing 1.6 A (tried to draw maximum 2.1A to) from it and still not keeping alive? I have tried to put a mosfet so that I have a 150R (also tried 50R) between + and - when the arduino is on as many “keep alive” tutorials show, still no luck… Why does it work when charging a phone but not powering my project? Any thoughts?

Interesting and might be a clue is that if I connect my LED:s that I am powering that draws exactly 1.466A the battery is alive, so it is something when I am using the arduino that it does not care about…

I can even power less amount of LED:s that draws about 400mA and it still goes on. When powering with the arduino it does not go on. Strange…

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.