Hacked Computer Speakers - Help

Hey all!

I’m a complete newbie when it comes to this kind of stuff so please pardon my ignorance.

I have a test setup here, it’s a bit of a mess I know, but it works.

The point of interest though is the speaker setup. I’ve hacked a set of PC speakers and I want to run them in my setup. As it is right now it works. I can generate tones to the speaker and it’s loud, and clear. My concern though, is if I did this right and if it will affect longevity? (IE: am I at risk to blow out components? The speakers' board says "9V*02A" so it's expecting 9V but this should only mean if I'm giving it 5V from the breadboard it will lower the volume? Also, the speaker is 4 Ohm 2W.

|500x375

I’m basically powering the pc speaker board via the breadboard. I’m trying to use the amplifier built into this (TDA2822M) to get the speaker to play louder.

I know I can hook up the speaker directly with a 220 Ohm resistor but it, obviously, cuts the sound down.

Again, pardon my ignorance but I don’t have the slightest clue if this is good or bad, and I’m err-ing on the side of caution and asking. Hopefully I can learn a little bit on why this is bad if it is, and why it will work if it will.

Thanks guys!

There is nothing good or bad about what you wrote. I just don't see anything relating to an Arduino in it.

If you want louder sound and your amplifier was designed to 9 volts, why aren't you powering it with 9 volts?

Paul

Paul_KD7HB: There is nothing good or bad about what you wrote. I just don't see anything relating to an Arduino in it.

If you want louder sound and your amplifier was designed to 9 volts, why aren't you powering it with 9 volts?

Paul

Apologies!

So, a 9V battery or something as power would work? The issue is the final product will need to be mobile, and won't have access to a fixed power source.

Viper_Airsoft: Apologies!

So, a 9V battery or something as power would work? The issue is the final product will need to be mobile, and won't have access to a fixed power source.

We are discussing your audio amplifier, right?

Paul

So, a 9V battery or something as power would work, how would the tone() work if the power source comes from elsewhere? The issue is the final product will need to be mobile, and won't have access to a fixed power source.

Paul_KD7HB: We are discussing your audio amplifier, right?

Paul

To an extent, yes. I'm trying to play tone()'s off the speaker from my board.

Viper_Airsoft:
To an extent, yes. I’m trying to play tone()'s off the speaker from my board.

There are two wires feeding the input to the amplifier. IF these are connected to your Arduino tone pin and the Arduino ground. That is all you need. Try it!

Paul

A 9V battery won’t give you much battery life.

so it’s expecting 9V but this should only mean if I’m giving it 5V from the breadboard it will lower the volume?

Yes… It gives you less power/volume capability

Let’s switch it around - If you are listening to undistorted audio at 5V and you switch to 9V it won’t automatically get louder. But you could crank it up louder. Or, if you are [u]clipping[/u] (distorting) at 5V, it should be louder at 9V and hopefully not distorted (or less distorted).

Power (Watts) can be calculated as V2/R.

That’s RMS voltage and 9V peak-to-peak is 3.1V RMS and 5V peak-to-peak is 1.75V RMS. Those are “theoretical maximums” and reality you’ll get less than 9V P-P with a 9V battery (due to voltage loss/drop through the amplifier). If you make a bridge amplifier you double the voltage for 4 times the power.

1.75V RMS into 4 Ohms is 0.76W and 3.1V is 2.4W (theoretical maximums).

Not a small 9V battery, they have fairly limited current ability. Probably need upto 1A peak to handle 4 ohm speaker if the amp is decent.

I think I'm just going to save myself a lot of headache and get something like this...

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B075XD85FT/?coliid=IH62IA5FT3QHP&colid=2RBUUEF8A8WAT&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Should let me play audio files too, which would be a nice addition.

If you want o play back .wav or .mp3 files... perhaps check out the DFPlayer modules.. very cheap and pretty decent volume/amp..

xl97: If you want o play back .wav or .mp3 files... perhaps check out the DFPlayer modules.. very cheap and pretty decent volume/amp..

I'll have a look! Thanks!