Hacking a SmartCard

Hello,

i got a new health-insurance-card last week and i want to read the data of my old card with my arduino.

The card got one of these simcard like chips on it. I figured out it's a SLE4442 Chip. The datasheet says, i have to send data (the read-mode and the memory-adress) first, and then the chip answers.

I also found this tutorial on hackaday.com, but i don't get this part:

The sle4442 has [u]open collector outputs[/u], and depends on pull-up resistors to hold the bus high. Instead of switching the data pin between ground and 5volts, it switches between ground and high-impedance states. High-impedance means that the chip exerts no state on the line, it lets it float, like a microcontroller input pin.

[u]Each of the signal lines need to be pulled-up to 5volts with a 2K-10K resistor[/u], the value isn’t particularly important. Without the pull-up resistor, we’ll never see anything but 0 (ground) on the bus because the sle4442 doesn’t exert a voltage of it’s own. A benefit of this technique is that the Bus Pirate, which only switches at 3.3volts, will talk to the sle4442 at a full 5volts, in compliance with the 3.5volt minimum voltage for a high level (datasheet, page 27, table 3.2.3:Vih).

I thought i know how an open collector output works, but why does the Clock, Reset and Signal-Line use them? Open-collectors are outputs, not inputs? (i thought??)

Anyone a clue on that?

I suspect the reset, Clk, and data lines are all pulled high so that when the arduino boots up the chips sees valid levels and does not get corrupted while the arduino I/Os are all input pins waiting for your sketch to start up and drive the pins hi/lo as needed.

Making a SmartCard be Breadboard Friendly..

kduin, you're definitely creative :)

card5:
Making a SmartCard be Breadboard Friendly…
kduin, you’re definitely creative :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’d just slot it into my card socket.

If I can figure where I stored it, that is … :roll_eyes:

Paul__B: Yeah, I'd just slot it into my card socket.

Where did you get a SmartCard socket from?

card5:
Where did you get a SmartCard socket from?

Disposals somewhere.

Tried eBay?

Will check it now.. Thanks :)

kduin: I thought i know how an open collector output works, but why does the Clock, Reset and Signal-Line use them? Open-collectors are outputs, not inputs? (i thought??)

Open collectors ere outputs, but inputs can have pullups as well. Smart cards NEED pullups an each signal pin because they aren't supplied in the smart card chip.

Google "SCR331" or "SCM SCR331"

Don't you have a bus pirate yet? If not, it's time to buy one :-) You could then use the following tips:

https://yaehob.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/bus-pirate-smart-card-shield/

https://yaehob.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/sle4442-smart-card-bus-pirate-gui/

Thank you :)

But you can use Arduino too, right? and not necessarily a Bus Pirate

see this if it helps.

https://sourceforge.net/p/arduinosclib/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/examples/SL4442_Support/SL4442_Support.ino

Thank you jtac-

Yes I got to it via google.
My problem was the Hardware - the reader.
But I got some recommendations…