Hacking a Taylor body scale

Hey guys,

I’m looking into hacking a Taylor body scale I had laying around with my Arduino Uno.

The end goal would be to have the scale report it’s weight to the Arduino, then be picked up and stored in a DB on my Raspberry Pi at which point I can do various things with it.

I popped open the scale and found that the scale has a board with a seemingly friendly interface (open pins for VDD, Ground, Calibration, and a Vpp).

I’m still getting my feet wet into small electronics, I’ve built some basic stuff like hacking a couple RC cars, but am always trying to tinker with something new.

My question is, what would be the next steps here? If I want to read the output from the load sensors on the scale into some useable information on my Arduino, where do I go next?

I’ve seen some related posts, but nothing that really points me in the right direction.

I’ve attached pictures of the interior of the scale. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!

As far as I know, the electronics of the scale is not used. Unless you can find someone that was able to hack this scale.

Use the four load cells. You need to amplify the signal for the Arduino.
The HX7111 is a cheap module on Ebay, but you can also use the INA125. The INA125 will not be accurate at all.

There is a way to combine 4 load cells, but I can't find it right now. Sorry :frowning: I have it bookmarked in my browser... and still can't find it.

[ADDED] I found something : Building a Twitter-enabled Litterbox
It is the picture with the blue background and the four LC on the left.

Thanks for the reply.

I found someone who hacked a scale to incorporate Zigbee. From what he says, he was working with the actual display rather than the electronics of the scale.

I was hoping to do something similar, but I'm guessing the models are too different for any thing in this article to apply to my scale. Might need to pick another one up.

I'll pike around a bit, thanks again!

Parallel diagonal sensors.

Possible to working with Arduino Yun or Arduino Tre