Hacking printer optical sensor help

First of all, Merry Christmas to everyone!

So the question is, does anyone know how to hack the printers optical sensor? let me explain..

So i am trying to modify a canon IP1600 printer into a 'print on all surface kind of printer'. i know there has been a few of these similar projects done, but not all have similar problems unfortunately.

The problem I am having now is that there are two sensors in the printer. One of which detects paper feed, and the other is a nozzle cleaning sensor. there is a mechanical system to trigger this system, but i want to use an arduino to "trick" the printer.

currently, with nothing in the optical sensors, ie both are LOW, the printer software says there is a paper jam. if i put an interrupt in the paper sensor the printer does not throw an error initially, but after some time, it throws it up.

I have roughly figured out how to bypass the paper sensor. Correct me if anyone knows this better..

The paper feeding motor generally turns direction A ( pushing paper out) . the trigger is when the it starts turning in direction B( oppositely ) and back to A. so i can write a simple code to detect the change in voltage and use an arduino to simulate this. HOWEVER I do not understand sensor number 2 which is the nozzle sensor. According to other forums, its this second sensor that causes the paper jam error.

any advice would be useful =)

Alternatively, if anyone knows how to get custom printer drivers that can ignore those error and just print, that would be useful too =)

CHeers!!!!

the single one is the rotary sensor, the one in series are the two sensors im talking about

Screen Shot 2014-12-25 at 16.59.22.png

Fix a piece of paper to a servo arm. Have the Arduino move it under the sensor for the required time, and then move it away again.

...R

hi, thanks for the reply =) i was thinking of a more digital approach, like connecting the wires from the main board to an arduino and output a high when required.

What i was thinking, if the two sensors are connected in series , does it mean both of them need to have the same signal? or either one of them will work?

DMond: What i was thinking, if the two sensors are connected in series , does it mean both of them need to have the same signal? or either one of them will work?

Can you monitor the signals while the printer is working normally - perhaps with an oscilloscope or logic analyzer. You could probably write an Arduino program to make it into a data collector as the signals probably don't change quickly. The order at which the events happen is probably important to the printer software.

While my servo suggestion was definitely tongue-in-cheek, it might be a useful way to explore how the mechanism behaves.

...R

you monitor the signals while the printer is working normally

That is a brilliant idea haha. unfortunately, i ripped that part of the printer out and already assembled my design, dang it!

haha getting a working printer and dissecting it is probably not the best idea.. but i will try and work on that basis.

thanks!

Btw and add on to the sensor question . as it is hard to monitor/trick both sensors. the sensor looks like this ( attachment )

4 wires to the first board , and 3 wires to the next. i have checked the wires and they are all connected. i think it works like an OR gate. either one high input will trigger the mother board. Do you think there can be a simple test to ensure this?

Don't think it is OR gate...... (4 conductor) wiring suggests 1-negative, 1-positive to LED's, 2 signals out usually open collector.

Similarly, (3 conductor) 1-negative same as above, 1-Positive to LED same as above, and 1-signal wire out.

Thanks for the reply. So assuming that is true, do i still have to control both sensors? or can i ignore one? i am not sure of the configuration currently=(

Cheers!