half of LCD not showing

I have a 16x1 LCD and I am using the hello world example but only one half of the display will show anything, the rest is blank. How can I get the arduino to use the rest of the screen?

Top/bottom half? Left/right half? Every other pixel?

Only the front half should be showing the display.

How can I get the arduino to use the rest of the screen?

Almost all 16x1 displays are internally configured as 8x2. So you want to use lcd.begin(8,2) and reset the cursor to the beginning of the second 'row' to display the characters on the right half of the display. Check out the [u]LCD Addressing[/u] link at http://web.alfredstate.edu/weimandn for more information.

Don

Have you identified your LCD as lcd.begin(16,1)? Try lcd.setCursor(0,1) then lcd.print("haha")

Almost all 16x1 displays are internally configured as 8x2. So you want to use lcd.begin(8,2) and reset the cursor to the beginning of the second 'row' to display the characters on the right half of the display.

Yay, this worked perfectly, thanks very much, this is the code I am now using:

// set up the LCD's number of columns and rows: 
  lcd.begin(8, 2);     //is 16x1, adressed as 8x2
  lcd.setCursor(0,1);  //init right hand side
  lcd.home();          //back to start
  lcd.clear();
  // Print a message to the LCD.
  lcd.print("hello wo");  //print left side
  lcd.setCursor(0,1);     //go to right
  lcd.print("rld!");      //print right side
  //blinking cursor
  lcd.cursor();
  lcd.blink();

And now to build some kind of electronic device (With an LCD screen) that shall amaze everyone. :D

ran into the same problem. all praise to the search function ^^. but daniel, i dont understand why you use

lcd.clear();

it works without. can you tell me why you include this? best regards alex

but Daniel, I dont understand why you use

lcd.clear();

it works without. can you tell me why you include this?

You are correct, it does work without this if you display something on the right side, if you don't use this code to set it up and only display something on the left then the right will not be lit at all and it makes the screen look uneven and less pleasing to the eye. This code just makes sure that the screen's right side is initialised in the same way the left is, if you are always displaying something on the right you will see no difference when leaving this code out.