Halfway issue with PLQ-DAQ

So this is a bit of an odd issue from my perspective. The code I'm using worked previously in interfacing with the PLX DAQ excel spreadsheet, but now when I attempt to connect the spreadsheet to the Arduino, I get the error message, "StampDAQ could not connect. Please check port settings." So naturally I've checked and rechecked the port settings. The Arduino is connected to COM 1, and the spreadsheet is set up to read it. Strangely enough, if I try a second time immediately, it connects, and indicates that it is receiving data, but does not log the data in any way. Ordinarily, I would expect the spreadsheet to reformat as it had done in the past, by renaming columns and the like, but nothing happens.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing, or can you perhaps point me in a particular direction? Any sort of help is appreciated, as this sort of error is completely new to me.

You did not mention the Excel version. Do you know that PLX-DAQ workes with old Excel versions only:

System Requirements

Microsoft Windows 98 Microsoft Office/Excel 2000 to 2003 May not work with newer software; no longer supported

That would make sense, and I am running it on Excel 2013, but I have used it successfully on the same version of Excel maybe a week ago with no problems.

I have not used PLQ-DAQ for years now (after we got Excel version newer than 2003). In my opinion there are 2 options (beside PLO-DAQ) - which, by the way, are more flexible than PLO-DAQ:

1) Generate CSV file via serial data You can use a serial terminal program that can save the data that is received via the serial port (Arduino serial monitor can not do this), like H-Term (Win, Mac) or others. You can generate a CSV file which can be imported to excel easily.

2) Write directly to Excel cells - use Arduino Leonardo or Micro As they can "act" as HID keyboard, they can write directly to Excel cells. Use TAB and ENTER to move to next cell or row, you can also generate time stamps (PC time) with the excel keyboard shortcuts date: CTRL + : time: CTRL + SHIFT + :

I have used both options several times, it works nicely.

DannyBread: it connects, and indicates that it is receiving data, but does not log the data in any way.

Which is probably true but it cannot do anything with the data.

DannyBread: I have used it successfully on the same version of Excel maybe a week ago with no problems.

Other people have claimed that too. God only knows what the real answer is but the general view is it can't be done, and the real solution is to upgrade to Office 2003.

The great value of PLX is its ability to deliver live graphs. Otherwise, you might as well use RealTerm to make timestamped CSVs for export. Another option for live graph is to send the data via bluetooth to Bluetooth Graphics Terminal, or perhaps BlueGraph. It isn't nearly as flash as PLX but it might suffice and may even be more convenient.

And there are several other methods to get live graphs.
Some examples from my “list”:

SerialComInstruments:
visualize data from µC on PC easily.
serialcominstruments.com/instrument.php (website partly in german)

Arduino Dashboard:
a PC frontend for the Arduino. It provides controls that usually take along time to build on a breadboard.
arduino-dashboard

Simplot:
easy plotting tool for Windows. Up to 4 channels
www.negtronics.com/simplot

Arduino Graph:
works with Processing or Max/MSP (V5): arduino.cc/en/tutorial/Graph

Proview:
Open Source Software for Linux. proview.se

KODA FromDesigner:
A standalone application that was developed to help creating forms (GUIs) for AutoIt3 scripting language.
koda

Windows Forms:
a graphical (GUI) class library included as a part of Microsoft .NET Framework
Wikipedia: Windows Forms

You can also make your own GUI with Java, Python or Visual Basic